Final Cut Express- how is it- any sample videos

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jul 14, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi everyone

I was wondering how good final cut express (FCE) is. People who have it- can you tell me what some of the 200 effects, transitions, etc. Is it easy to use- i have masted iMovie, so i was thinking of FCE to broaden the tools i have. I find the information about FCE very vague at apple. Also does anyone have any sample FCE movies they have made that i can watch (such as .Mac websites). Also does anyone know where online i can watch like how to quicktimes so i can get a jist of what this program is like.

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Drive to an apple store and test it for yourself. It can't really be discribed.
  3. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    If you're not using HD, and predominantly using DV, then FCE is all and more than you could ever need for video editing. It's definitely a step up in difficulty from iMovie and has a substantially different interface, but one you master some basic skills you will have an enormous wealth of tools and incredible editing power at your fingertips. I can't recommend it enough.

I don't really know of anyone using HD other than TV/film studios and other pros, but for anything from just below that level to those beyond iMovie, FCE is an absolute winner.

And like jimsowden said, you really have to see it and play with it to get a feel for it if you're not sure.
  4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    If you have an Apple store near you, get a calender of that store... I'll bet they offer a free seminar on how to use it there... The one near me offers a FCE one every Thurs. @ 5:30 pm, for example... It's a good program & is the natural progression for someone who has mastered iMovie & is looking for more...
  5. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    So far the only thing I've done is transfer some VHS tapes and used FCE for editting and iDVD for burning. FCE is not too hard to learn. As for effects, mostly they are transitions and image enhancements, nothing fancy.

I think it's an excellent move up from iMovie. I do recommend you get a tutorial book of some sort. The I have is "Final Cut Express Solutions". It's OK but I think there are some better ones out there.

Also, if you have a little extra pocket change, get a Shuttle Pro or Shuttle Express. And take a litte time to learn the keyboard commands. FCE include labels for the keyboard that make this a bit easier.

Good Luck