Final Cut Express Movie in a Frame Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rendezvouscp, Mar 14, 2005.

1. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Yes, maybe I'm ridiculous in asking this since I'm a totally newbie to FCE, but I've got the first version, and I'd like to do this:

I've got a clip to make that makes it look like you're watching T.V. So I've got the clip I want to show in the T.V., and the actual T.V. outside. So, I want to put a clip into the T.V., and keep the T.V. outside that same.

I don't know how else to explain this, and I'm sure what I want is not that complicated, but I have no clue how to do it. If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    -Chase

2. qpawn macrumors member

Distort Tool Might Work

I've never used FCE, but this method could be the same as in Final Cut Pro...

-Put the clip with the real TV in it on video layer 1.
    -Put the footage you want to make look like it's on the TV on layer 2.
    -Click on the footage on layer 2.

We're going to drag each corner of this footage, to each corner of the television set:

-Click on the canvas window
    -From the top menu bar select View->Image+Wireframe
    -Hit 'd' on the keyboard or select the 'Distort' tool from the toolbar next to the Crop tool.
    -With the distort tool active, move the cursor to the corner of the footage until the cursor changes into a distort tool thingy.
    -Drag each corner of the footage to each corner of the television set.

If this isn't what you're looking for, yell at me and call me an idiot. :p

3. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

As the previous poster says - you need to use at least two layers of video.
    Video layer 1 is the TV it'sself , Layer 2 is "the program on the TV" (inlay)

Additional Tips:

1. Feather the Video 2 track so that there's not such a direct line between the TV clip and the image clip. Unless your TV that you've shot is perfectly rectangle (and flat) and shot head on, it'll help make the trick more believable.

2. Use some blur or colour correction on Video Track 2 to make the image not appear so crisp so it's not so painfully obvious that you are doing this trick.

3. Another thing to try is to put "lines" on the TV (use either a 3rd track or nesting) so that it sells the believability even more (so it looks like your clip IS on the TV and the TV has lines). There's a plugin at www.kafwang.com that will do this for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Good luck.

4. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

Between the two posts, it turned out wonderfully (I had to account for some minor differences, but it worked)! I was actually trying to avoid the lines, otherwise I would've just filmed it on the T.V. But thank you so much, and hopefully this'll be helpful to others. Thanks again!
    -Chase