Final Cut Express on iMac G5.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BigPrince, Dec 28, 2006.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

My question is to the people that run FCE on there iMac G5's. The version that my place of work has is an older version that does not like the iMac's PCI graphics card because it is looking for a AGP(or similar initials) graphic card. The work around being that you go in root and edit that one file so that it accepts the PCI card.

To those people that have done that, how have your experiences been? The lab that uses this program generally runs all other programs fine except FCE. It is constantly crashing and so on. I have re-installed(twice), repaired permissions and so on. I am left scratching my head on why this program is so troublesome and nothing else is. My latest theory is that it still has issues using the PCI card, does anyone think there is any merit to my latest theory?

These are the iMac G5 iSight 20 inch models with 1 gig of ram.

2. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

3. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Last try, hoping people enjoyed the holidays and will be back on MR to assist me!

4. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Thought I'd give it another go 4 months later.

5. CRF macrumors newbie

Try this...

Hi, I used to have the same problem. The main question is what version of FCE you are running? I guess is 3.0 (the one i used to have), in this case try to obtain the upgrade 3.0.1 or 3.1, I don't recall now. The update fix the problem with the PCI-E card. I've used this for about ten months without a problem and no crashes.

The update can be obtained from apple if you are a registered user of FCE.

Cheers

6. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Things have been better since I updated, so maybe now we are in the "normal" threshold for problems instead of the "excessive."

I guess the upgrade will have to due.

thanks.