Final Cut Express problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Benjamindaines, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am running Final Cut Express 2.x on an iMac G5 with 1GB memory. After rendering about 15 minutes of video or audio it just stops and says I am out of memory. I have checked the requirements and I have more then enough memory for this. Why is it doing this? How do I fix this?

Also my drive setup is 2 FW drives (on the same BUS) one holding the .dv files and one for the scratch.

--Thanks

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Are your drives pretty close to full? If memory can't page in/out due to space limitations on your drive, you will have errors.

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

My drive with the scratch has 87GB avalible, the one that holds the dv files has 150 and the internal disc has 90

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's the last rev on the G5s 17" 1.9GHz

6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Are you using any filters?

Sometimes digieffects filters will screw with your memory, also zaxwerks.

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Nope just rendering the straight audio after importing the .dv tracks.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Obvious stuff time:
    Have you rebooted the machine?
    Have you repaired permissions?
    Have you trashed FCP preferences?

and something less obvious:
    What happens if you create a new project, open the original project, copy & paste the timeline from the original project into the new project and try rendering?

Lethal

9. bmcclenahan macrumors newbie

I've just encountered the same symptoms running FCE 2 on Panther.
    I've followed all the recommendations for deleteing renders and preferences and my drives have lots of free space.

Have you solved the problem ?

when I ran the Activity Monitor utility while the audio render was running. I saw the Virtual Memory allocation increasing for the FCE process until it hit 3.50GB at which point FCE reported "out of memory". I'm guessing the 3.5GB is a hard OSX limit on VM and the message is actually correct.

what's surprising is that I've rendered much larger/longer audio previously without problems. the difference is that in this case the audio is in hundreds of small clips rather than 1 long one.

Looks like an FCE code bug to me ... gets confused with lots of clips to render and just eats memory till it dies

10. ed kelly macrumors newbie

Fce 1 Problem Recording To Tape

MY mac will stop after a few minitues of printing to tape, the monitor and computer go into a still frame, while the audio sounds like it continues to run, but nothing records after the still frame. All the other projects located in the same hardrive are fine, no problems, just this one project which is a little over 1 hour long.
    whar am I missing here?

11. curlyfries611 macrumors newbie

Trying to upload a quicktime movie file to FCE

Hi,

I have been having a lot of problems uploading quicktime files to FCE. Usually when i import a file into a new project the audio does not work. I have tried seperating out the audio and creating an MP3 file for it and importing both into FCE but that did not work as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can do this and can explain it to me in simple terms? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Inna