Final Cut express ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Figory, May 19, 2004.

1. Figory macrumors member

If I buy final cut express, will I be able to burn dvd's on my external Lacie burner (unlike imovie) without hassle. And will I need anything more than a G4 powerbook osx 10.2.7 1 GHz. ?

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Final Cut Express is not a DVD Authoring program. It is a video editing program (just like iMovie). Were you thinking of DVD Studio Pro (the Pro alternative to iDVD)? DVD Studio Pro will work with external burners, but then so will Toast and few other programs. Depending on what level of performance you need I would look into one of those options.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Toast will Burn the DVDs for you, I think it will give you limited menus & chapert control. but then its much cheaper than DVD studio pro. There is the iDVD4 easter egg that allows you to burn DVD on external drives from iDVD.

4. Figory thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Oh yes am getting a bit addled over all this!
    From info I have gathered on this website, it appears that I will have to upgrade to panther to get that easter egg to work, as yet I havn't managed to make it work. I don't want to spend the money on upgrading to panther and find it still dosnt work, so want to make sure. Imovie and idvd are enough for me if I could just burn the dvd!
    what happens if i use a c.d rather than a dvd will that work for short things? Am getting through rather alot of dvd's trying to make this work!
    Final cut Xpress would be fun though. Does my G4 have what it takes? I do have an additional hard drive.

5. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

While you could store very short DVD projects on a CD, you cannot burn an iDVD movie to a CD disc and expect it to play in a DVD player.

My 1Ghz G4 Powerbook does just fine with FCE and iDVD.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

You should be OK as far as power goes. I think your LaCie burner came with Toast, didn't it? That will allow you to burn DVD's. I'm going to get a LaCie DVD burner and all the ones I've looked at have Toast on them.

Good Luck,
    JOD8FY

7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i'm not sure about iDVD but i know from experience that you can burn a DVD movie (provided it's under 700MB) to a CD and have it play in a DVD player.

8. Figory thread starter macrumors member

yes toast

Yes my Lacie came with toast lite, but so far I havn't got it to work with idvd, even with the easter egg. Seems I need to upgrade to Panther for that to work

9. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

upgrade to toast 6

with toast 6 you can make dvd/vcd from quicktime clips. I think you can only burn data dvd with toast lite. From Final cut / imovie you will need to export you movie. (export it a full dvd quality) if you want chapters, each clip you make will be a chaper. then open toast 6, select video at the top, then dvd/cvd pal/ntsc etc. drop you clips onto the main window. & Burn. It will take a while to burn as it has to encode your clips from dv to mpeg2.

Attached Files:

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

On Final Cut Express...

I see a few reviews comparing FCE2 to the Pro version but I cant find anything good comparing iMovie to FCE2.

Can anyone help with a link?

What can you do in FCE2 that you cant do in iMovie? Is it really worth the extra money?