Final Cut/FCE

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by gelbin, Oct 30, 2003.

1. gelbin macrumors regular

hello all, it appears that both fcp 4 and fce have major problems with panther. i can't get either to work. one is on a new g5 that i convinced a friend to get to work on videos and now the thing is not worth a dime. it really is embarrassing and sucks. anyone have any tips or tricks to get this working....?thanks.

2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

what are the problems? is it not playing back video, audio? is it crashing all the time? what happened?

3. gelbin thread starter macrumors regular

well

on my powerbook g4, it fcpro wont' star - i mean, it starts and crashes right away...t.
    on the new g5, fce starts, but crashes almost immediately.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Was the Panther install an upgrade or clean install?

If an upgrade, have you tried removing and reinstalling the apps?

5. gelbin thread starter macrumors regular

si senior.

the fce was on a clean install.

then dumped and reinstalled, same deal.

my switcher is not a happy camper...

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...OK, the only other thing I'm finding on Apple's discussion boards is some conflicts with AUs and VSTs that causes crashes...

Other than that, all I can suggest is the usual trashing of preferences and repairing of permissions.

7. gelbin thread starter macrumors regular

apple discussions

rower, thanks for your help....
    on apples boards there is mention of fce problesm w/ panther

if you look under fce, and then panther i think, there is a series of posts.
    but the problems are not consistent.....

and the solution offered is that an update is needed, which i think may be the case, but s&*t, can't apple get it right if they are doing both!?!

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ah, I see them now. I was only checking FCP.

I agree that there needs to be a patch ASAP, if that's the only solution. From what I've seen, Apple rushed 10.3, so hopefully 10.3.1 comes out quickly.

Sorry I don't have better news.

9. gelbin thread starter macrumors regular

painful switch

yeah.
    this has been painful for her.
    i mean, first she had a rude arse apple sales woman, pushing her on applecare and then slipping it into her order on the sly....then the g5's power supply was bad, then a new computer without idvd installed, then fcp sucks a log....

and all she wants to do is make movies...

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ugh, what a horrible first, second and third impression...

I hope things turn around soon.

11. OziMac macrumors 6502

Hey Gelbin, sorry to hear all this. Especially since the switch was probably a wise move for making filmmaking easier and more efficient. I switched for similar reasons and absolutely love the way FCE and FCP work. And I've always dealt with extremely pleasant Apple people. So, I know you've had some bad experiences, but please know that it's not all like that, and there is some glorious substance beneath all the sales crassness. Hope things get better for you :)

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's a real bummer, although I don't seem to be having any FCE problems in extremely limited testing--maybe I just haven't pushed it hard enough yet. I suppose it stands to reason that a similar update to the FCP one would be required for FCE.

Now, learning the daunting interface after being spoiled by the idiot-with-eyes-closed-could-do-it iMovie is another matter...

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

so, I can't render **** now. This is what I get for upgrading. I put it off for about a week and now not only does Toast 5.1 not work, but FCP works as long as I dont need to render anything.

it's ****ty to see I'm not the only one.

I'm not looking forward to wiping my drive and reinstalling jaguar....but I probably will have to tomorrow....

****ing apple. I'm gonna goto their webpage and bitch now...

14. agdickinson macrumors member

Possible solution to installing FCE

I've had a bit of Fun :( attempting to install Final Cut Express. Then I decided to try something:

I copied the install program to the Desktop of my G5.

Then I ran the Installation Program

It ran okay and install FCE perfectly okay.

For some reason Panther picks up FCE as an OS9 application, on the CD-ROM. But on the Desktop seems to work okay. (Then Again I could be mis-reading it).

Has anyone else tried this out? Seems to work okay for my self.

Andrew