Final Cut Info needed regarding graphics card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimbobyorks, Jan 7, 2007.

1. jimbobyorks macrumors newbie

Have been using imovie for a while now and looking to take things further so thinking of getting Final Cut but my graphics card in my g5 iMac is a ATI X600 Pro 128MB but this is not on the recommend graphics card list in the product specs of final cut latest edition. Would this greatly effect the running of the application etc or would I have to upgrade the card and what costs would that be, i.e. really expensive it would be better upgrading mac full stop.

Thanks in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Final Cut does not use the graphics card that much. Motion on the other hand depends on the power of the graphics card more or less totally.

3. devman macrumors 65816

devman

can you even upgrade the video card in a G5 iMac?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Good point: no you can't.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do you need Final Cut Pro or would Final Cut Express work just as well. I have FCP for a number of reasons, not really because I use all the features. But for most of the things I do, Express would work quite well.

You might want to check to see if the video requirements for Express list your card.

D

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The minimum supported card lisr includes the 9600XT which was on the iMac before yours, as the X600 was only in the final G5 iMac for 3 months it probably simply isn't mentioned, but it is certainly better than the 9600XT/GT and a LOT better than the Geforce FX 5200, which is also on that list.

7. jimbobyorks thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the spec requirements on final cut for the card

Recommended graphics cards: ATI Radeon X1900 XT, ATI Radeon X850 XT, ATI Radeon X800 XT, ATI Radeon X1600, NVIDIA GeForce Quadro FX 4500, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL

Is mine better than any of these, is so then great as dont want to have to upgrade the mac.

Want to use final cut instead of imovie as have had loads of problems with audio in respect of I build a project then when it was processing the movie in idvd then it just stops and freezings as soon as it starts to process the audio. This happens when using movie footage with sound in the timeline aswell as just still images.

Thanks in advance.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No it's not better, though it's probably not a lot worse than a X800...