Final Cut Keyboards

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zioxide, Jan 31, 2007.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hey, I've seen various pictures and stuff where people have had keyboards with all of the shortcuts for Final Cut on them. I even remember seeing one site where you could buy just the keys for like 40 bucks or something. But now I can't find it. If anyone knows where I could get these keys it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

3. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Keys and Stickers

Don't buy those. Stickers come off and even with keys you are still stuck using the Apple keyboard. This is the way to go: http://www.bella-usa.com/Pro.htm

4. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Nice but tres expensive if you don't need the jog wheel. $169.95 for the colored pro one. And not that pretty IMO.

I'm getting the separate keys as soon as I find a dealer here.

5. anthony113 macrumors member

not worth that huge price for a keyboard. once you become more proficient in editing with final cut pro and using shortcuts you wont even be looking at the keyboard. i'd put the money toward more RAM which has a long term effect on productivity.

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Once you REALLY start using Final Cut Pro, you remap the keys to your own preferences, and those fancy schmancy keyboards don't mean squat then.

7. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I agree! Total waste of money - total! My introduction to FCP was cutting a documentary over the summer. Literally within two days, I knew the most often used shortcuts, and I didn't even bother looking at the keyboard... just used my regular iBook keyboard. Believe me, it's like touch-typing - if you don't look at the keyboard, what difference does it make if you have a fancy keyboard? Plus, buying a dedicated keyboard is useless for anything else. Save your money! I understand the instinct to get all your tools lined up, but you gotta make sure that the tools are appropriate. Put the money towards other things (RAM was suggested, but I figure you got that covered already :)). I'd suggest a really good pair of external speakers - I found that invaluable when working on sound... the tinny speakers that come with a laptop or even the jbls from the apple store are not what you want. Personally, I sprung for studio monitors - the advantage is that you can work at close quarters and they have a neutral sound without any coloring - which is what you want. I went for these:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8a-main.html

and got them for $400 from Amazon. Very pleased. Plus, they're great for parties :) :) :)

8. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Disagree

While I agree that you eventually memorize the key commands, you don't memorize ALL of them. Plus, you will learn some new commands that you might never learn since you have the symbols on the keys. Remapping is something I only do with AVID since FCP maps so many functions and is very intuitive, imo.

But most importantly, the comfort level is miles ahead of the apple keyboards. 150 bucks is nothing when looking at the big picture. I guess it's not for everyone, but I'm glad that all the post houses I've worked at carry the pro keyboards for both AVID and FCP.

9. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

awesome, the keys thing was exactly what i saw a while back. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to get them or not, I was just curious as to how much they were and where I would get them. thanks :D

OldCorpse - those speakers look real nice but they're extremely expensive for a pair of speakers. Personally I was thinking about getting the Altec Lansing FX6201s, but I haven't really decided on that either yet.

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I tried googling for Altec Lansing FX6201s, but found nothing, so I can't tell how they compare or what their specs are. The key point is that the BX8a speakers are studio monitors - with a flat response, no coloring, which is what you want when working with sound. The second important aspect of it is that you can work at close quarters with them (which is what happens in editing or studio work). Third important aspect is that they are self powered, thus you save on an amplifier and have power matched exactly to your speaker. Finally, like I said, it's easy to get them for around $400 brand new (see f.ex. Amazon, which is where I got them, and they still sell for $400), so I don't know if you consider that expensive (I agree the MSRP of $600 is ridiculous).

By the way, I'm not affiliated with M-Audio in any way, just a satisfied customer.

Anyhow, the bottom line is, I wanted to stress that when picking equipment for film editing, don't neglect a good pair of speakers, as folks often forget the importance of sound until it's too late.

11. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=FX6021
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=BCF284E0&nplm=T9551LL/A

Those are the Altec Lansing FX6021. I realize its not really the same type of speakers, because the M-Audio speakers are ones you would hook up to a mixer or something, and the Altecs are standard computer speakers. But all the reviews I've read say that they some of the best computer speakers on the market, so I'm probably going to get them.

btw, I have the same iBook as you :D

12. markb06 macrumors newbie

Check out www.editorskeys.com

They do stickers and Silicone Mac covers, i really recommend them