Final Cut plug in help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Mar 5, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm filming in mini dv and need to apply the filter to the video to make it look like its cinema footage. I've seen this plug-in around on the internet a few times, but have forgotten the name. I really need your help in locating this plug in please. I don't mind if its Final Cut Pro or Express. Thanks

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

there are maaaaaaaany filter that attempt the "film look". It is very difficult, however, to produce this look. Exactly what are you going for? Widescreen? 24p? Grain? Scratching and aging? Modified Gamma? Getting "the look" is much more difficult than you may seem.
    With that aside, these filters are all pretty expensive... in the $100-$1000 range. I've had pretty good success shooting with a DVX-100a and adding on Magic Bullet filters to produce an old film look. That pack costs about $300.

3. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was looking more for the kind of filter to get a look like in Collateral, (I thinks thats 24p with gamma? not sure tho) just a nice smooth effect which will complement the video and remove the DV effect and make it more movie screen. I haven't that much to spend $250, so anything that achieves a similar or near to affect will do as the audience is very unlike to pick up greatly on this, but it will pull them out of the home video effect.

thanks

4. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

What do you mean by "DV effect"? The interlacing?

6. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

try here
    these filters cost $$.
    i cant recall any free ones.

7. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

when i say dv i mean the brightness and amateur look which dv gives, but i need something more than just changing the brightness and contrast, probably gamma and a 24p filter

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sense you are in the UK I'm assuming you shot on PAL. Not much difference between 24fps and 25 (maybe de-interlace the footage to get a fake progressive look). Much of the "amateur video" look has to do w/how it was shot (lighting, composition, camera moves, etc.,.) and the relative lack of depth of field you'll get from a small DV camera. If you google "film look" you'll find tons of "how-to" guides.

Lethal