Final Cut Pro 3 Realtime Effects Hack!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clubmedia, May 16, 2002.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I tried this a couple of weeks ago. It works, but not as much as I was expecting. Maybe I was expecting too much...

-Pete

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've done it on my TiPB, and seems to work ok. It doesn't really have much effect if it can't process all the effects in realtime, it will just drop frames, which is fine. You have to render the whole thing anyway when you export via Firewire, so do it.

4. iGav macrumors G3

As soon as I get my copy of FCP 3....... I'll give it a try........ :D
    Realtime baby...... :D

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think Apple hyped the realtime aspects of FCP, its not all that great in my books. But FCP itself is still worth the money, I love it.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Absolutely..... for real realtime effects you really need accelerated gizmos for that......

I've got FCP 2, and am ultra happy with it, dare I say I prefer it to Media 100, so I can't wait to get my hands on FCP 3........

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have a dual 800 and the real time effects are nice.... kinda. but it's still not full quality and such. once you're on a machine fast enough to handle them, the rendering is quick anyways, except for advanced stuff which isn't real time anyways, so it's kind of a catch 22.

can't you hit option p or something and play back not real time but without rendering...? i thought that was something but i could be mixing up apps....

8. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

i am thinking about getting a 550mhz tibook with a gig of ram. does anyone know if this should be capable of real time effects? if anyone has used this method on a 550 how good did it run fcp 3?

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

should work

according to this you should be all set with a 550. check on the left column, about halfway down the page....

i've seen fcp pretty darn well on machines much slower than 550.... i'd say just make sure you have as much ram as you can afford.... hope this helped.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I run FCP on a TiBook 500 with 512, and it motors along nicely...... unless you go completely bad taste with some effects..... :p a 550 with a 1Gb will do nicely!!!

11. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

awesome. thanks, that will save me from spending more on a faster tibook