Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Today seems to be a slow day on the forums...

So how about this for a rumor.

We all know that with Quicktime 6 given MPEG-4 support it’s one step closer to changing our audio/video lifestyle. However, not all the apps from Apple have this support. (I think there is a way to get mp4 audio onto iTunes.) Final Cut Pro 3 shows no support for MPEG-4.

So, that most likely means that once an update is released for Final Cut Pro it should have MPEG-4 support.

What’s your take on this?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i would really like to see apple and adobe merger premeire and final cut pro...they could call is "premeire final cut pro"...ha ha...they are both very similar so i don't see why they wouldn't

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
I think it will be more of a plug-in kind of thing (does Final Cut support codec Plug-ins? I don't use it, wouldn't know) if not, it will be a small update. After all, it is just only a codec, it's not that complicated. The only reason it took so long for QT6 is because of all the legal concerns, but now that it's over with the addon/update/plug-in/upgrade will come out in short order. If apple knows what good for 'em.

Roscoe, get your brass knuckles ready.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
FCP 4

Will have plenty more features added in besides MPEG4. Since QT supports it eventually FCP will. You should be able to save as a mp4 file and import mp4 files as well. That's not going to be a big deal though. FCP 4 will probably have enhanced Titling and more compositing features as Apple integrates Tech from the Prismo Graphics, Rayz acquisitions.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
How far will it go?

Does anyone think that the upgrade will include FCP2? I hope so, because I don't want to buy 3 THEN 4.

If not then there are always student discounts.;)

bunton

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
Nah

Dude three is amazing and is working fine, the mpeg four is good but how much is it needed? It would be better for apple to invest in a better 4 overall and add the new m peg when 4 is ready, not rush out 4 cause m peg is here in # four format?!!?!!

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Apple will probably only update FCP 3 to take advantage of QuickTime 6 (remember they advise FCP users not to upgrade to QT6 as of now). FCP 4 will come in time, but it will probably take 6-9 months from now. When it comes it will rock though, espesially if serveral of the new features comes from some of Apples most recent purcashes... I'm looking forward already :) :) :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yep

Originally posted by crassusad44
Apple will probably only update FCP 3 to take advantage of QuickTime 6 (remember they advise FCP users not to upgrade to QT6 as of now). FCP 4 will come in time, but it will probably take 6-9 months from now. When it comes it will rock though, espesially if serveral of the new features comes from some of Apples most recent purcashes... I'm looking forward already :) :) :)

If Apple integrates the India Titler features from the Prismo Graphics purchase then you all are in for a treat. No more importing text from Photoshop. I've tried the India Titler demo and while some effect where cheesy(perfect for a kids video) some where great. I also expect FCP 4 to support beefed up compositing...not alot but enough to pump things up a bit.

Eventually you'll see future versions of Emagics Logic to support FCP as well. We're talking Digital Hub Pro here.

keltorsori

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
FCP and QuickTime 6

Final Cut Pro 3 already supports any Quicktime component for exporting video. This of course includes the QT MPEG4 component. I run a software development company that has been working on a next-generation video codec for some time, our component is fully recognized by any app that uses QuickTime, Final Cut is no different.

QuickTime 6 works fine with Final Cut Pro 3, but Apple is cautious of production environments installing it and then finding out there is some incompatibility somewhere, that's why they're recommending that people do not upgrade until they've done a full suite of testing.

So, FCP4 is not in order for MPEG4 support.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: FCP and QuickTime 6

Originally posted by keltorsori
Final Cut Pro 3 already supports any Quicktime component for exporting video. This of course includes the QT MPEG4 component.

So, FCP4 is not in order for MPEG4 support.

Thank you for settling the issue - VOID again doesn't do his research before posting.

I was talking with both Dignan and Jello when QT 6 came out. I put off getting QT6 Pro specifically since Apple mentioned it wasn't supported. However, both of them had installed QT6 and it worked fine. So I immediately downloaded and upgraded to QT6 Pro, using it in both OS9 and OSX with no problems.

I imagine we will see a paid upgrade, FCP 3.2 or 3.5, with more features and it will ship with QT6. But for now there's really no reason not to upgrade to QT6.

Has iMovie on the new machines come with QT6 and Jaguar - I'm not sure, but I'd bet that was the case. Anyone with a new machine let us know.

D

asparagui

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
los angeles (usc)
QT6...

Qt6 already fixes some issues in FCP (support for some DVCPRO devices, for example).

Apple is waiting until the release Jaguar to both ship Shake and certify QT6 for FCP usage.

In short, the old rule of upgrading: if it's a production machine and you've got valuable work, don't upgrade. Of course, anybody in that position prob. wouldn't be reading this post anyway. ;-)

-asparagui

P.S. FCP4 is getting close, most likely. FCP3 was released in December of 2001.

Fonts with FCP

They'd better include compatibility with Postscript fonts in the next version!
Anybody in the professional graphics business uses Postscript fonts, forget TrueType.

Weird thing is that iMovie works fine with them. I mean FCP shouldn't be more functional than iMovie??? Are there some serious internal coding issue or something?

Huh, but I guess OpenType works fine with FCP on OS X? Does anybody know about how this actually is?

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
from what I've read over at 2-pop, this seemed to be a hit or miss problem anyway. Somepoeple had no problem, though apple wasn't giving the official go ahead. I think the issue is probably user related. I love FCP, and I use it almost everyday. IT is elegant and funtional and it kills AVID and Media and other like Vegas dead on the floor. That said, like any nonlinear editor it creates a lot of files and prefs and documents and setup and everything else you can imagine, and it is imparative that you stay right on top of it.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Nobody has responded to my post. Now I don't want to sound needy or anything, but I believe that my topic is a very important discussion. How far will the upgrade go? I know a couple of people that are still on FCP 2 (such as myself) and we don't want to buy three then four. What do you guys think? How have upgrades gone in the past with other mac programs?

Just a thought....

Originally posted by P-Worm
Nobody has responded to my post. Now I don't want to sound needy or anything, but I believe that my topic is a very important discussion. How far will the upgrade go? I know a couple of people that are still on FCP 2 (such as myself) and we don't want to buy three then four. What do you guys think? How have upgrades gone in the past with other mac programs?

Just a thought....

You are saying that your FCP2 will be eligible for the new upgrade package? I'm not sure if I understood you correct, but I believe all of the FCP upgrade has been OK for any versions of FCP. So I imagine version 4 upgrade will be valid for your FCP 2 too

FYI: I run FCP 3 on PowerBook G4 / 800. I'm happier with this version 3 because of the realtime text effect for putting subtitles and a lot of small improvements. I upgraded to FCP2 only a couple of months before the 3 came out, and boy! I was very very mad. But I bought a new upgrade anyway.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
that's the same thing that happened to me. I bought 2 about a week and a hlf before 3 came out. I bought it on ebay though so i could not upgrade for free. Oh well. I'm a student and I just barely have enough money for the upgrade now, but I'm afraid that the same thing will happen again. All I can do is hope that the FCP 4 upgrade package extends all the way to FCP 2...:(

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i would really like to see apple and adobe merger premeire and final cut pro...they could call is "premeire final cut pro"...ha ha...they are both very similar so i don't see why they wouldn't
'
premiere is a joke.. it cant barely compare to fcp...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I think it will go 3.1 first, 4 would have to be a full overhaul to change version number, 3.1 will add support for QT6 and 10.2

doddsk

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
FCP next version

I think there will be a reasonably major revision to FCP (maybe 3.5?) withing the next 2 months. Panasonic is coming out with a 24 frame progressive DV camera sometime in October. When it was announced, it was noted that Apple and Panasonic had been working together. Apple committed to supporting this new camera and its 24P frame rate within FCP, and Panasonic committed to fitting Firewire to their upcoming High Definition Studio VTR's. Apple already supports 24P with its $1000 Film Logic add on package to FCP, but I got the impression that 24P capability would be integrated.

This camera is going to take off like crazy in the independent film community, and Apple will want to maintain its well deserved following there.

I'm stoked about the possibility of importing 100mbs compressed HD over Firewire with no need for a capture board. This is going to revolutionize the price/performance equation all over again!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Please Apple

Apple robust support for Applescript to Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro.

Automating tedious tasks with Applescript is a must. Make it happen.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i don't know how soon we'll see fcp 4. based on the fact that fcp 3 was less than a year ago.... how long was it b/w 2 and 3? also, fcp 3 is a huge upgrade given that it runs on os x.....

nuckinfutz... what type of redundant tasks do you want to automate? just curious.

so we now know qt6 and fcp 3.02 w/ jag are approved.... now just to wait for jag.... only a few more hours..

and that 24p panasonic camera looks great... i just hope i can scrounge together the money for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.