Final Cut Pro 5 Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bulb, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Bulb macrumors member

I have seen the specs for FCP 5.. My machine is a G4 800 with 256 ram. The specs say it needs 867/512.. I can put another 256 ram in my machine no worries but will install work if my cpu isnt 867 ? If this is the case can i just get FCP 4 or will that not run on my machine either ? Cheers...

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I used to cut stuff on my old G4 iMac 800 on FCP 4. It worked fine.

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

now, im not sure if final cut 5 'detects' the processor speed, and refuses to install. I know Motion does if you dont have a good enough graphics card. But as far as I know, final cut should install on any G4 i would imagine... the specs are usually just 'recommendations'. and I dont see why it wouldnt install or run on your system (but you absolutely GOT to have more RAM, or it will be unbearable)

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know if it will install. I tried installing 4.5 on a machine w/256megs of RAM and the install failed. I would only assume that a too slow clock speed would stop the install as well.

Lethal

5. Bulb thread starter macrumors member

I heard that it wouldnt install on an 800 machine with 256 ram same as mine but that could have been just the ram causing it to fail.. I guess i'll just go for version 4 and get up to speed with it and then i can look at upgrading later. Does version 4 have the live edit stuff though ? I saw the demo of that and it looks really cool. Also does 4 do realtime transitions ? Thanks for your help..

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You mean LiveType (not "live edit")? yeah, FCP 4.5 comes w/LiveType, Soundtrack, Compressor, and Cinema Tools. If you buy the Production Bundle you also get Motion and DVD Studio Pro.

The Real time abilities are dependent on your machine, but i wouldn't expect too much w/only a single 800. FCP really takes advantage of dual procs.

Lethal

7. Bulb thread starter macrumors member

I think i might be referring to a different thing. Its the multicam realtime editing feature i was trying to describe, where you can load a bunch of angles up and then while viewing them all you just click the one you like to make your cuts.. Im not sure what its called but is that feature in version 4 of FCP ?

I will hang with this old 800 for now and struggle with whatever realtime i can get, then i will upgrade when x86 arrives.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Multicam is a feature of FCP 5. Something you might want to look at is getting a processor upgrade card. I think Sonnettech makes some dual proc upgrade cards.

Lethal

9. 1stmacuser macrumors newbie

Final Cut 5 won't recognized firewire deck

My Dual 800 G4 80g boot drive, 1 g ram 10.4.3, QT 7 newest, final cut 5

newest + update will see my Firewire drives (4) but will not see ANY

T.V. camera or pro DV CAM Deck or mini DV camera or D-8 camera. I

installed a PCI card with USB 2 and Firewire it would see the drives but not

the capture device. Next I tried re-installing F C 5 with no luck. Talking

with my colleagues, they think my boot drive may have some corrupt data,

it's about 85% full, I have run disk

utillity but norton is not working. FC 4.5 worked FLAWLESS, Then I had to

go and F- it up.

One idea I had was to install a new boot drive with 10.4.3 then FC 5, put

my original 80 g drive in a fire wire enclosure on the daisy chain. What a

pain in the A** , got any ideas ?............ This is how I make my living and

it has not been good :confused: Thanks, Apple user since 1979 :)

10. robx2 macrumors member

Hey, this is becoming a fairly well-documented problem. Reinstall Quicktime (even if you already have the latest version) and I bet your device shows back up.

Here's a article that mentions the problem: http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/5573/

11. BenJolene macrumors newbie

Multiclip (multicam editing) is new to Final Cut 5. And, not to burst your bubble, but you won't be able to use it on an 800 machine with 256 mb of RAM. The good news is that if you up your RAM to 512, you should be able to run all the other features of Final Cut 5 just fine. Check that: slow, but fine.

I currently use multiclip a lot on a Dual 2.7 G5 w/ 8 GB of RAM. That works like a breeze. But I imagine you'll need a minimum 1 GHz processor and 1 GB of memory to get it off the ground.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Don't expect any live rendering at all. None.

My 1ghz iBook with 640 MB RAM hooked up to a FireWire RAID array doesn't do it, and I've had RT Extreme drop frames and be very sluggish on Dual 2.3 G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM. Other than that, with more RAM (ideally 512+) you should be able to play with video relatively easily. Shouldn't be a problem. :)

13. 1stmacuser macrumors newbie

Final Cut 5 working now !

Thanks Robx2, your advice was right on the money ! If anyone has problems impoting video after upgrading to Final Cut 5, this works ! :)

14. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816