Final Cut Pro capturing Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by me262, Feb 11, 2007.

1. me262 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a Macbook Pro
    2.16 core duo
    2gb of ram
    100gb 7200rpm Hardrive
    and of couse final cut pro 5.1
    anyway i have a problem. I filmed a big event and am preping to edit. My hardrive didnt have enough free space on it so i bought a acomdata 160 gb drive (firewire of couse) and have set the scratch disk and the autosaves and the caches of final cut pro to the exsternal firewire drive. Of couse the macbook pro only has a single fire wire port so the camera is pluged in back of the firewire drive. The bandwidth seems suffician and there are no droped frames however every 9 minuts and 25 seconds the capture stops because it says i dont have enough free disk space. Well when it does this i check the internal drive and it has 16gb of space(even though i know it shouldnt matter) then i check the exsternal one witch should be the only one that matters and it has over 130gb left on it.
    Then i go back and restart the capture and it works fine and in exactly 9 minuts and 25 seconds i get the same error.

So now i say fine ill capture to my interanl drive and then ill just move it over to the exsternal one. Well when i try to move the project over i get an error right before its done with the copy. the error code is -1309. I truly have no idea how to fix this and i thought it was possible to capture dirrectly to a firewire drive or atleast to move over a 12gb file. However no matter what i do it wont work. Please help soon because im on a deadline

any suggestions
    Thank you

*oh and i have a few other files that wont copy over eather but the wired thing is there all over 6giga bytes. These are un film related.
    Thought maybe that would help.

2. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Just a thought, but isn't 9m25 about 2GB of dv? I think there's a check box where you can create a new file every 2GB, or not. Maybe that's related?

The Void
    De-micced.

3. me262 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just figured it out but thank you for your quick response
    It turns out that i think theres is a restriction of how big a file can be when going to a fat formatted drive. So i reformated the drive in mac osx exstended gournedl and what do yah no it works perfect.
    Personaly you would think apple or the drive company would put that in the manual cause that exsplanes so much like why my 6 gig files wouldnt cop over to my 20gb usb drive

4. me262 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just figured it out but thank you for your quick response
    It turns out that i think theres is a restriction of how big a file can be when going to a fat formatted drive. So i reformated the drive in mac osx exstended gournedl and what do yah no it works perfect.
    Personaly you would think apple or the drive company would put that in the manual cause that exsplanes so much like why my 6 gig files wouldnt cop over to my 20gb usb drive