Final Cut Pro compatability?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by musicalbean, Jul 13, 2005.

1. musicalbean macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2005
    I have a confession...

I am a PC user. :eek:

I am becoming more and more ashamed of the fact as I become more and more aware of the video and audio capabilities of the Mac (Final Cut Studio). I have been using the Adobe Video Collection including Premiere Pro, DVD Encore, Audition, Photoshop, and After Effects for my video editing. After reading some threads on the differences between Final Cut Pro and Adobe Video, I think I have decided to MAKE THE SWITCH.

Only one things seems to be standing in the way...

From what I read on the Apple website, HD DVD authoring capabilities are only available on a G5 processor. This means that I would have to make the switch straight to a desktop system rather than a laptop system. As a novice film editor, I need a mobile system. However, it seems that a mobile system and Final Cut Studio are incompatible.

Is there something I'm missing or are my fears substantial? And if so, is there any hope of a solution in the future? Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Why is not being able to author an HD DVD show stopping? And why does being a novice film editor require a laptop to edit on?

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    He wants his cake and eat it too.

If you're looking for mobility, you're going to have to sacrifice on power. Anyway, the majority of mobile editors I know who edit on a PowerBook do so with proxy clips. They are interesting in doing rough cuts to timecode. The final finishing and HD encoding stage is still performed on a dedicated desktop system powerful enough to chew through renders and encodes.
  4. musicalbean thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. When I said I needed mobility because I'm a novice editor, that's not quite what I meant. My mistake. I meant that I'm a novice editor and my lifestyle requires mobility. Currently I am trying to start up a video service and would like to be able to boast that I have all the most recent and professional technology and software and that better quality can't be found anywhere else. But I guess I need to make some sacrifices for now and just stick with a high-end PC and Adobe software.

Thanks again!