final cut pro crashes every 10 minutes...literally

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cwright, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running FCP HD on an 867 Mhz Quicksilver G4 w/ 1.5 GB RAM, and it crashes every 10 minutes! Its completely random too, never the same action or video clip that causes it to crash. :confused:

My computer has two hard drives, both of which have more than 30 gigs free, so hard drive space is not an issue. I havent installed any new hardware in the last year, so that shouldn't be a problem. Usually, FCP is the only app open, if not the only others are photoshop and iChat/Mail. So I'm not running low on RAM. anyone know why this is happening?
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I believe you can allocate RAM to FCP, so make sure you're giving it plenty. Apart from that, when an application consistently misbehaves I start by trashing it's preferences. Do a Finder search for Final Cut Pro and delete the file(s) that end in .plist. There will be one in your user Library folder and maybe another in the root Library. They'll be recreated the next time you start the application. You will lose settings (window position, etc) and will have to run the setup again. Also make sure you've repaired disk permissions in Disk Utility. Between those 2 things you'll probably solve your problem, but if not at least you've done the first 2 steps. Let us know how it goes.