Final Cut Pro obtimized for multiple processors?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by P-Worm, Sep 15, 2006.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm using a mac pro 2.66 and I can't seem to max out the processors. Right now I am using compressor to encode a movie. It has been going for some time now, but the processor time can't seem to go past more than 60% per processor.

I'm thinking that it might have to do with the hard drive that comes stock in this machine. Is it just not fast enough to keep up?

I ahve the base Mac Pro with no changes to the configuration. Any suggestions?

P-Worm

2. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I'd like to know this as well. I've yet to be able to max out my Mac Pro.

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I scowered the internet for some kind of Mac Pro benchmark that shows the activity monitor, buut I couldn't find one.

Sure, I can benifit from having multiple apps open, but if I don't need to have other apps open I would like to have the machine working as fast as it can. I would think that Apple would design its software for their own machines.

P-Worm

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This sounds awfully familiar. Wasn't there another dual processor machine that had the same problem?
    Either way, check the settings in the Energy Saver preference pane and make sure processor performance is set to Highest.

6. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I don't see processor performance in the energy saver preference. :confused:

P-Worm

7. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I think I remember reading that this is only available in PPC models.

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

There could be an update that utilizes those processors, remember the benchmarks Apple used for the Mac Pro, it was a unreleased update that still hasn't come out.

9. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, that's good to hear. I hope that the update comes soon enough.

P-Worm

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, I guess the new Xeons don't have bus slewing then. :p

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You may be able to max out your processors using Compressor IF you attach another Mac, create a cluster and set the other Mac as the cluster controller.

A little while back I connected my dual G5, MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4 by way of a gigabit switch. I set the G5 and MBP to do encoding and the PB to only be the cluster controller.

Having the PB handle only the controlling duties made the job go way faster than having the G5 be the controller and all machines doing the encoding.

Set this up in Apple Qadministrator. For the how to, open up the PDF from "Help."

12. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have an old single processor QS G4 that is connected to my Mac Pro by standard ethernet. Are you telling me that if I run Final Cut Pro on that machine instead of the Mac Pro that it will be faster? Or are you just saying if I export the compressor file from the old machine to the new one that it will encode faster. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I want to have Final Cut Pro on that old machine (I'm not even sure if it meets the minimum requirements), but I have considered making it a render node.

P-Worm

13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

1. No, that's not what I wrote.
    2. No, that's not what I wrote either.

What I'm talking about is using Apple Qadministrator to create a cluster where your old G4 is the controller (but it doesn't do any encoding) and all the encoding is done on your new Mac Pro. The old G4 is nearly useless as an encoding node, if my tests with my 1.25GHz PB G4 is any indication. Encoding jobs will complete faster without the G4 running them, but rather only controlling the cluster.

Please go open Apple Qadministrator. It's in your Applications folder. Click Help. Select the only option there.

14. cscturulo macrumors newbie

cscturulo

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

please tell me all of your media is NOT on the boot drive....

I max out my 2.8ghz octo with a virtual cluster in compressor... i get about 700% (combined) in activity monitor. make sure you have that set up correctly first. you do NOT need another computer as a controller to make this happen.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

After 3.5 years I hope the OP still isn't waiting around for an answer. ;)

Lethal

18. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Just fixed it. thanks. :p

P-Worm

19. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

wow... a thread that rose from the dead twice...