Final Cut Pro on a Mac Mini.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caris, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Does it work? ive been looking into it and it says Final Cut STUDIO does nto support the shared GPU minis have, but i dont know if that applys for Final Cut Pro as well, if it doesnt what other Video editing programs would people recomend for a Mac?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Everything but Motion should work well. I forget if you need a hack to install it or not.

3. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

What is motion exactly?

And What is FCP like? im Serious about my video editing its not something i just mess around with i have a XM2 and that sort of equipment, but does final cut pro do eveything i would need? or would i need another program like After Effects?

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

if you ARE serious about video editing, do some more research.

if you have to ask those sorts of questions, you havent done enough.

FCP is all you need, but what do YOU need to DO?

After Effects is gonna help you with compositing and some 3D effects.

But FCP would probably do all you need, its when you want to get more advanced that FCP might need some help, with plugins or other programs.

Motion, if you have to ask, you probably dont need it! But anyway, its a realtime graphics program, optimized for OpenGL allowing for some really nice animations and whatnot, but its not something you just "use for fun".

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Motion is part of Final Cut Studio.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/

Final Cut Pro 5 should take care of your video editing needs.

6. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Trust me mate im serious, just im only 3 days into this Mac thing so...

But yea i do Bmx movies, i need Titles, effects like old film, when say you take a shot upwards and say you see a curb i want to be able to make a new shot be below the curb, that sorta thing.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

FCP Studio has all youll need.

Final Cut Pro
    Soundtrack
    LiveType
    DVDStudioPro
    Motion

Learn FCP, the in n outs.

Then learn LiveType for your graphics and Titling stuff.

Use Motion ONLY if you need to, as it will only hinder and not help until you are as familiar with it as FCP itself.

Learn SoundTrack on the side for fun, as it can be quite useful for what I think you are going for.

Learn DVD Studio Pro when/if you are ready to get to work on outputing to DVDs. When you master FCP and DVDSP, you can pretty much do it all with little fuss.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In all honesty what makes Mac OS X so different that you can't just hit Apple.com and figure it out?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

In case you need training wheels.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If you were SERIOUS about video editing, you sure as hell wouldn't be looking at a Mac Mini.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

good point, but i think the mini's today can handle FCP.

maybe not the actual files, HDD is anorexic and youd need an external, but the work can be done, why not.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Sure, it'll work, but when you take into account rendering, hard drive space and speed, and overall power, it's not ideal for any SERIOUS editing especially in terms of GPU capabiities. It can do iMovie and Final Cut fine for mild-moderate editing, but the keyword here as the OP said is "SERIOUS"

12. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Look i just came on here for some friendly advise, not to be givin a lecture.

I dont see why a Mini cant handle video editing if i up the RAM to 2gb and get a 160gb HDD, i was just curious about the video memory.

And yes i do take my filming and editing seriously ive been doing it for years and have about 2k's worth of equipment, like i said im just to macs and was wondering on 1 thing.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Like I said, it can handle editing fine, but if you do a lot of titling, filters, effects, composites, masks, particles, simulations, behaviors, or any of those things that go into many of the types of videos you're talking about doing, then you'd do better to set your sights higher.

14. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

This is an OLD video i done, its pretty crap but its the sort of thing i do, Bmx videos are quite simple so i thought a Mac Mini would handle it fine.

http://media.putfile.com/web-video