final cut pro on new MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rosa, May 21, 2006.

1. rosa macrumors newbie

Hi,
    trying to figure out which new intel laptop mac to buy ,would love to get the new macbook but i do want the option to run fcp on it, reading conflicting things about that- im not going to be creating graphics so much as straight up video editing-
    in every other way i know the macbook is perfect for me, what do you think?
    :confused:

thanks!
    rn

2. codo macrumors 6502

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think if you were creating graphics on it, then the MB would be fine. However, there's a reason why the MBP exists, and you're the target market. Higher resolution, larger screen, and a good video card.........yeah, you're going to need all of this.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

OK I've been holding out as long as I can since everyone seems to be asking this question.
    I know this sounds pretty dumb but, just to reconfirm:

I will be doing heavy-duty FCP editing (including Motion). Will the 2.0GHz MacBook do the job? The bare minimum? No? Will the 15" 2.0GHz MacBook Pro do the job? Let's say money is a factor.

irmongoose

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You can do evrything in Final Cut, Livetype, Sonudtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Cinema Tools, Compressor.

Motion 2 will work BUT will get bogged down when you try to do heavy layered Full Quality real time preview, but if you turn down quality of preview to 1/4 or 1/2 you should be able to work away with it, just keep the clips short. No 1 - 2 minute motion opus's....

MacBook and Final Cut works for me.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Thanks, MacRumorUser. One more question: how well does the MacBook handle HD video, especially when interchanging footage between Final Cut/LiveType/Compressor?

irmongoose

7. rosa thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you too, and one more

will the new intel run the fcp versions that are not the new universal versions?

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not without a hack, and you wouldn't want to anyway.