Final Cut Pro Titling

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by garblot, Aug 14, 2006.

1. garblot macrumors newbie

I recently switched to Apple, and I thus got Final Cut Pro to replace Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. I have a question about titling in Final Cut: is there something similar to Premiere's title-design application (called, I think, Title Designer)? LiveType does not seem to be quite what I want; I have to need for animated text. I like very much the way Adobe treats title-design: you have a window the size of your video, and you can lay text out how you like. It was pretty much perfect for my needs. Is there anything of a similar nature in Final Cut? I suppose that Photoshop would work in the absence of an alternative, but it would be overkill and a lot of trouble (and money). Especially without a universal-binary version. Please help!

Note: I know about the basic text-adding in Final Cut. It doesn't quite cut it.

EDIT: These pictures of the titling application may help to show more clearly what I'm looking for. The program creates only static titles--no animation.

2. garblot thread starter macrumors newbie

While I'm at it, is there a convenient way to import Photoshop files with all layers as seperate tracks? In my experience, I have only been able to import single layers or all layers merged.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP's built title tool is pretty much crap, but FCP comes w/a Boris tool called Title 3D. Go into the same drop down menu where you select FCP's title tool, but instead of selecting "Text" select "Title 3D" and see if that gives you what you need.

Lethal

4. garblot thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it will quite do the trick. I edit underwater pipeline inspection videos, so I need all sorts of labelling all over the screen. It would be nice to be able to have text in multiple places in one title. Adobe's layout/interface is just about perfect for what I do. Is there a plug-in or something like that in the absence of a built-in feature?

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

6. garblot thread starter macrumors newbie

I just experimented with it, and I think that it will be fine. Thank you! Adobe Title Designer is far more convenient, but Motion will work.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can always just create the titles then move them around and resize them once they are in the timeline.

Lethal

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am probably missing something here, but I don't get what's wrong with LiveType. It can create plain text titles if you want.

Edit: It sounds like you just might not be use to how Final Cut Studio works. I have to admit it took me some time to get used to it when I came from Premiere on the PC. But I wouldn't never go back now.