Final Cut Pro widescreen issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jaysaugus, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jaysaugus macrumors newbie

Ok, here's the situation. I've been using final cut pro for the past 7 years and I think I've got it down. All my movies have been edited it widescreen and have sent each film out in the same format no problem. I just got Final Cut Pro 5 and need to export a 1 minute clip in widescreen to a H.264 Quicktime format. I can export the video out in widescreen and watch it in Quicktime no problem. But for some reason, everytime I use the file in some other location or program, it converts it to the squished 4:3 aspect ratio. I've been trying to fix this for a few days and none of my conversions are working. Can anybody help me out and tell me how to fix this???

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

whats the extension on the clip? .mov? and what other programs have you been using this with?

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

is the video (or FCP settings) anamorphic? maybe whatever program you are using doesn't stretch out anamorphic video.

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

That would be my guess, too, given that QuickTime apparently shows it in the correct aspect ratio.

- Martin

5. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

You may have to letterbox it so u dont get the squished look from other players. Good thing is, it wont look any different!:D

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Would it be possible to just stretch the image to the point where pixels are square? Maybe the problem with the other players is just an assumed pixel aspect ratio, and not the aspect ratio of the whole image.

- Martin

7. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Im sure you can try that approach, Im not sure if it would work or not work.
    To put letterbox on your widescreen video tho. is to make sure that video players do not misinterpret the sizing to a wrong size.
    If you letterbox, everything should be fine, the other approach may work as well, but it would be a little harder. There's always a way to do it!:D