Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
What a surprise, Apple wants everyone to buy new computers.
Wrong. Apple will let you upgrade your video card.
Thankfully I learned my lesson when the Genius Bar refused to send me a replacement for the X1900 in my 2006 Mac Pro - insisting I had to bring the whole machine in so they could replace the card themselves (because, you know, it's a terribly tricky thing to do).

Like hell am I dragging £4k worth of kit into a shopping mall 20 miles away for them to fix a card that they denied was faulty for nearly 4 years.
So Apple offered to fix your problem, and you refused. Sounds like you are the cause of your own problem.
I've always been a staunch Mac Pro advocate. I'm now a 100% Hackintosh advocate. And I don't have to worry about what video cards my expensive hardware is compatible with.

I don't run Hackintosh so I can put OS X on a cheaper computer. I do it because I get to put it on a computer I trust. The hell with proprietary desktops, and I can run FCP X on my "Mac" today.

Now you are a criminal and using your own refusal from Apple as a lame rationalization. Honestly, you don't sound like a professional.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
This is such nonsense, as are most of the tantrums I am seeing in here. Firstly, Apple's made it quite clear we are on a journey. There's a bigger picture here and we've been explicitly told that.

Regardless. I find it laughable that self-styled "Professionals" are complaining they can't switch their work flow on day 1 release of an application that's core to their revenue stream. No professional would do that, even if feature X that they wanted was in there. You transition a work-flow, you take the opportunities to tune and refine it. Apple didn't uninstall older versions from your machine.

If you want to switch to Adobe because you are a long term malcontent, then switch. Do so professionally without throwing a hissy fit in a public forum. Perhaps write a blog about the experience afterwards to explain to others how you did it so they might learn from it and make the transition themselves if they want to.

I'm comfortable with this as an R1 application, the promise oozes out of every pore. I won't be using it for some time to come, but I knew that yesterday, and the day before, and the week before, and the months before. So did you. However, despite not being able to use it on production projects I can see what doors this application opens, and I look forward to stepping through them as the right projects come up and the software develops.

Let's be clear, if you are posting here as a professional who is disappointed you can't switch today, or even this year... you're not a professional.

I agree that FCP X will probably eventually become a pro app, but you're missing the point: FCP 7 is SEVERELY behind the technology and many of us have to move on or will lose work to competitors.

One or two years worth of being behind in our profession (waiting for features that quite frankly should have been delivered in 2011) IS a big deal and a lot of money lost.

Aiwaz418

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Burbank, CA
Let's be clear, if you are posting here as a professional who is disappointed you can't switch today, or even this year... you're not a professional.
Being in the middle of two different feature projects at the moment in FCP 7, I had no desire to switch today, but I DID have a desire to test the functionality of FCP X and it failed in a professional environment.

This 'journey' of which you speak seems so far to be one of dumbed-down interfaces and features, more suited to experienced amateurs wishing to post polished videos on YouTube rather than the pros who have supported this product for years and have utilized it on features and in television.

If the software was not ready to be utilized in a pro environment TODAY, it should not have been released, period, or should have been named 'iMovie Pro' or 'Final Cut Amateur'.

It's a slap in the face, plain and simple.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I can see this is gonna suck. (Just the situation in general)

There are a lot of automatic features that are going to make this thing beastly if they work as advertised, but the lack support for systems that are more than two years old (like 3 years old is the cutoff), plus the lack of support for fairly late model iMacs (which Apple has promoted as professional tools for years.) Also, the lack of basic 3-point editing in favor of this timeline only editing crap which was tried with about the first 3 or 4 versions of Premiere, which has never been accepted as a real pro tool is ridiculous.

Automatic color timing /SWEET!/
Automatic image stabilization /SWEET!/
Automatic scene sorting /SWEET!/
Automatic indestructible sound sync /SWEET!/
Automatic robust networkable media management /SWEET!/

These are all critical things, but so is 3-point editing and that's the heart of every editing station and the first thing every editor expects to see.

3-point Editing Overview

You can use the traditional "I" & "O" keys the same as always - unless I'm missing something (or you're referring to something else".

As for apparent lack of ability to import from FCP or FCE, that's disappointing. But, as others have mentioned - it's still early. For me, I don't have any incomplete projects that I would want to continue in FCPX (or a need to import completed ones), so it's not much of an issue for me. I can always use FCE for those, if needed.

I've been using FCE for many years. Even though it does support AVCHD, it requires transcoding. Native editing of AVCHD is a major selling point [for me] - especially with the new pricing. I'll probably jump on board fairly soon.

Last edited:

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011

You're assuming that the complaints are that "professionals want to be able to switch today, or this year" but I read the complaints that FCPX is missing the very basic features that make it professional.

And I should add that if FCPX doesn't work for those who wish to transition to it from FCP7 or another application, why should one buy it? What is the point if you have to wait and hope that someday it might include features and functionality when Apple isn't saying that it will? There are other options out there, although I had high hopes for this release.

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
One of the chief points made in this thread is this; Apple has been accused of ignoring the pro market they once catered to. We've heard to talk, no more Apple pro quality monitors just pretty good ones. No more class leading Mac Pros, just pretty good ones. Closed systems, controlled software, etc.

Well the big deal was supposed to be the new Final Cut, "Wow, they're back in the pro market". Super Final Cut Pro X would solidify Apple's commitment and give them a reason to continue producing Mac Pros and the pro motion/still software used on them.

In reality Apple has released a really great FC/iMovie hybrid that works very well on modern machines. It's kind of a mirror image of iPhoto and Aperture 3. The idea that the market should give them time to get it right is just plain stupid. Who would buy hardware that might only become usable in the next few months? Easy answer, no one.

Let's face it and get over it. Apple is really shooting for the upscale, knowledgeable amateur, 'form is as important as function' market now with the majority of its products.

As noted earlier, times change. It isn't either good or bad, it's just the way it is.

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
I agree that FCP X will probably eventually become a pro app, but you're missing the point: FCP 7 is SEVERELY behind the technology and many of us have to move on or will lose work to competitors.

One or two years worth of being behind in our profession (waiting for features that quite frankly should have been delivered in 2011) IS a big deal and a lot of money lost.

FCP X is going the way of QTX. It's garbage. It's pretty sad the industry is stuck on PCP7 or we'd all be using Adobe Premier.

For the business I work for 18 workstations x FCP X upgrade is $5400. That is awful, not to mention. I can't keep a copy of the installer on my SMB server? What a joke. You know how much longer it will take to download it through "app" store on every machine?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Well I guess I'll be holding off. I was waiting to see what people thought of it and I've gotten my answer.

goombamd

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
bought CS5.5

I bought CS5.5 master collection with some grant funds that were expiring... got the whole suite for $599 through academic store and havent opened it yet because I thought I might return it and get the new FCPX. Sounds like I should stick with CS5.5? Any thoughts?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
FCP X is going the way of QTX. It's garbage. It's pretty sad the industry is stuck on PCP7 or we'd all be using Adobe Premier.

For the business I work for 18 workstations x FCP X upgrade is $5400. That is awful, not to mention. I can't keep a copy of the installer on my SMB server? What a joke. You know how much longer it will take to download it through "app" store on every machine?
Hmm you can install up to 5 on one purchase dude/dudette :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I bought CS5.5 master collection with some grant funds that were expiring... got the whole suite for $599 through academic store and havent opened it yet because I thought I might return it and get the new FCPX. Sounds like I should stick with CS5.5? Any thoughts?
thats a no brainer dude. you get the Master Collection first, learn After Effects and Premiere the buy FCPX v1.1 when your ready ;)

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
thats a no brainer dude. you get the Master Collection first, learn After Effects and Premiere the buy FCPX v1.1 when your ready ;)

Exactly right. I have multiple NLE and DAW packages and keep as current as I can with them.

CS5.5 Master Collection is not too shabby either.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Wrong. Apple will let you upgrade your video card.

So Apple offered to fix your problem, and you refused. Sounds like you are the cause of your own problem.

Now you are a criminal and using your own refusal from Apple as a lame rationalization. Honestly, you don't sound like a professional.

Dude, you are so out of touch.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
This is such nonsense, as are most of the tantrums I am seeing in here. Firstly, Apple's made it quite clear we are on a journey. There's a bigger picture here and we've been explicitly told that.

Regardless. I find it laughable that self-styled "Professionals" are complaining they can't switch their work flow on day 1 release of an application that's core to their revenue stream. No professional would do that, even if feature X that they wanted was in there. You transition a work-flow, you take the opportunities to tune and refine it. Apple didn't uninstall older versions from your machine.

If you want to switch to Adobe because you are a long term malcontent, then switch. Do so professionally without throwing a hissy fit in a public forum. Perhaps write a blog about the experience afterwards to explain to others how you did it so they might learn from it and make the transition themselves if they want to.

I'm comfortable with this as an R1 application, the promise oozes out of every pore. I won't be using it for some time to come, but I knew that yesterday, and the day before, and the week before, and the months before. So did you. However, despite not being able to use it on production projects I can see what doors this application opens, and I look forward to stepping through them as the right projects come up and the software develops.

I work in IT and know that most pros win any field will wait a good wile before switching over software. As for the things some are complaining about being not pro such as exporting to YouTube and Facebook, are important in this day and age and are required for pros because these websites are key in communicating with there customers.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I've been using FCE for many years. Even though it does support AVCHD, it requires transcoding. Native editing of AVCHD is a major selling point [for me] - especially with the new pricing. I'll probably jump on board fairly soon.

Exactly, that alone was worth the price to me. Finally I can scrap my Windows PC. Whew.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
By the way, it seems FCPX doesn't handle transport streams (m2t files). I use those files to archive footage from a Sony MiniDV HD camcorder.

So basically, if you need to import from MiniDV, you still need to capture directly from the camcorder itself rather than using previously saved transport streams.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003

So does this mean you an edit MP4 files natively? That's nice if true...

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006

I can assure you I am a professional. And my history with Apple products has been such that I can use it professionally the day it is released. That is not the case here, and I'm shocked. Why am I on a journey with Apple when I just bought their software?

I honestly had no reason to think that the new version of Final Cut Pro would not have functionality that the old version did.

jayman99

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
ATI Radeon 3870 does work with Final Cut Pro X

I can confirm that I was able to purchase, download, install, and run Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor from the Mac App Store on my 2008 Mac Pro 8-core with the genuine ATI Radeon 3870 that I purchased direct from ATI when this card was released. No workaround, it just works. Final Cut Pro X uses all 8-cores too, by the way.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Dang, so Compressor 4 is not 64bit? I'll be waiting on that one. I purchased FCPX yesterday and I'm happy with it. I hope to see multicam editing options soon though. I'll get the new Motion next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.