Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thidranki, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

I was considering buying the Final Cut Pro studio. It is $1300, but if I buy it through my school, I can get it for $500. The difference is that it is Final Cut Pro Studio - Academic. Is there a difference between the two just because its academic? . . . or not?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Just when it starts (loads up) it says Acidemic under the logo.

3. Thidranki thread starter macrumors member

Thidranki

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, techinically you can't use the Acedemic version for profit, ie you can't use it to edit anything that someone is paying you for, it is a direct violation of the license.

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

can you upgrade in the future (technically, not ethically) to a full version?

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

AFAIK, you can't upgrade with the Academic version. So for example, if you have Final Cut Pro HD (4.5) Academic, and you want to upgrade to Final Cut Pro 5, you have to pay full price again, the upgrade pricing doesn't apply. Also, the new Final Cut Pro Studio is $699 for educational customers. I don't know why they increased the academic price but not the regular price, but they did :(. I bought the old one a few weeks ago for $499, and I'm actually glad I did, because I don't think the upgrades are worth the $200 more you have to pay now.