Final Cut Studio...Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hotwire132002, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

    hotwire132002

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Location:
    Cadillac, MI
    #1
    I'm looking at upgrading to Final Cut Studio, but my concern is that right after I upgrade they'll come out with a new version. Pretty simple question--any idea on the frequency of updates to Apple's video software? Any estimates on how long it will be before the next version comes out?

    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #2
    They seem to do major ($$$) updates to Final Cut Pro in the April timeframe every year or two. I'd say buying Final Cut Studio now would be fairly safe since the last update was under 6 months ago.
     
  3. nagromme macrumors G5

    nagromme

    Joined:
    May 2, 2002
    #3
    One reason to be conservative and wait is if you plan to get an Intel-based Mac any time soon, and will want to move Final Cut onto it. We don't know yet if the Intel version will be a free "sidegrade" or if you'll have to buy the next major version upgrade. My app buying is on perma-hold until companies start promising free Intel upgrades. Without that promise, I'm waiting until universal binaries hit the shelves next year.

    But, you need it when you need it!
     
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #4
    Exactly - if you need it now, buy it - don't expect any major update for a while and until then, if you don't have it, you won't be able to do any work. That should be the deciding factor.

    D
     
  5. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #5
    A lot of "Pro Apps" may not have universal binaries until late 2006 or early 2007. Rememeber PowerMacs are going to be the last Intel based Mac released.

    Any non-pro app that Apple releases starting in January 2006 has a good chance of having a universal binary.
     
  6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

    hotwire132002

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Location:
    Cadillac, MI
    #6
    Thanks to all for the advice! I now have a much better idea of the timing of releases--and I'll probably upgrade to FCP Studio pretty quick here. (I don't plan to switch to Intel until I need to, and aside from that my current HDV workflow is a pain.)

    Thanks again!
     

Share This Page