Final Cut Studio - next version?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by istara, Dec 6, 2006.

1. istara macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2006
    Does anyone have any idea when the next version of Final Cut is due?

Our company bought FCP 4.5 (Production Suite) about 48 hours before they released FCP 5, and there was no free upgrade. I've now got the go ahead to buy FCP 5, but I have a hunch that Final Cut Pro 6 must be due soon.

Anyone have any idea when a significant upgrade (not just a v5.x version) is likely to appear? Many thanks in advance.
  2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    There shouldn't be a reason for getting a free upgrade to the next major revision. Everybody needs to pay it whether you had your copy for 2 days or 2 months. FCP 4.5 is still perfectly usable until you want to upgrade to version 5.

Major FCP updates tend to occur around NAB (April, May) with smaller free updates throughout the year. There will be an upgrade price to 6.0 so you might as well buy now.
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The upgrade to 5.1 (the universal version) is dirt cheap ($199 for people coming from the Production Suite) and it's pretty mature in it's life cycle. If FCP 6 is announced at NAB in April it probably won't ship until June and probably won't get its first update until August (I'm not a big fan of using software until the first round of updates has happened). So, IMO, a "safe for daily work" version of the next FCP might not be out until the end of next summer. Plenty of time to for the $199 upgrade to pay for itself.

I typically don't tell people to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, but the $199 deal ends Dec 20th so after that it's a full upgrade price if you decided to go to 5.