Final Cut Studio or Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shadowfayre, Feb 23, 2006.

1. shadowfayre macrumors member

Greetings,

I am a new transplant Mac person. I have been using PCs for ages. Anyways, I decided to get a Mac (MacBook Pro) as I plan on doing a lot of video editting. I looked at the Apple site to get a comparison on the Express vs the Pro; there is alot added to the Pro version. And with Studio (since that is all you can get now) you get additional software as well.

Now, I realize that FC does not work on the MacBook Pro, but a univerisal version is coming in March. That is fine. Gives me a month to figure out the Mac anyways. The question is regarding the purchase of the software. I am a college student and at this point I can purchase the studio for 699, I also read that Apple is providing a crossgrade upgrade from any of the pro editions. I can still purchase Soundtrack Pro (299) and that would put me on the upgrade availablity (199up+299STpro or 500bucks). This would save me 199 bucks and I get the full retail version vs a student edition that I would not be able to use after college. This seems to be the best choice.

However, here is where I stand. The Final Cut Express HD is 299. It seems to have most of what I would need. However, there is no word on an Express version being available in UB.

For the most part I would be a consumer-pro and at this point the work I do is for family, friends and my church. I want high quality stuff, and right now I plan on getting either a Sony HD Cam or the Canon HD (XR-HD1, I believe). Of course, that all depends on cash availablity. So with the cam that I considering, would I be better getting the Studio with one of the options above or holding off for an express HD in UB format?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The next release of FCE will be a UB. On the Final Cut Express page it says "The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers." (in the Final Cut Express Updates box on the right). No timeframe for this though.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

I got FC Studio working on my Intel iMac (except for Motion).
    Im sure itll work on the MacBook Pro.
    Theres a thread on how to do it under FCE on Wintel Mac.

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

If you think you are going to use everything in the Studio, I would buy it. But if you think you will just need FCE or just Soundtrack, I would buy both of the separately and put the extra money towards some more ram.

5. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors member

At first I would be a beginner with these programs. Is Express easier than Studio? Or is it just a limited version with limited options and functionallity of Studio?

6. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

what i would suggest is to not get a macbook if all you're getting it for is video editing
    and i explain: hd video is much more demanding in terms of processing power and storage capacity than conventional dv video.which means that you'd have monster files to play with and render,which means that you'd then have to compress them and so on and so forth... which in the end means you need something with massive capacity and a kick ass processor,so i'd suggest you get a desktop mac if all you want is video editing,maybe a dual processor one.
    i'm telling you this because i have final cut on my powerbook 17 and rendering and compressing is taking quite some time,so i'm guessing with hd-even with the macbook being faster-you'd still have long waiting times

7. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors member

Well the reason for the Macbook was many. One I needed a laptop, as my IBM Thinkpad T20 kicked the bucket. Two, I plan on doing alot of photographic (stills) out in the field where I could really need a laptop. Sure the MacBook may not be the best of choice and at some point I will more than likely replace my desktop (Dual Core Opteron) with a Mac equiliant. This is more of an additional use for the MacBook until that day (3rd or 4th quarter).

I am currently lending towards the Studio, just because the benefits outway the cost difference. As a beginner though, I dont want to have some adv app that I would not be able to use, but I think FCP looks to be useable even for a beginner.

8. speed macrumors newbie

9. speed macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right one

Hi,

I would like to put the fashion show DVD in my computer and somehow turn it into an photo album or galeries...and put the pictures on the website. Can I use final cut express to do that? if not, can you please give me other suggestions. I have a mac and a pc.

Cheers,

Speed.:cool: