Final Cut Studio Student, vs Non-Student

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nsknike, Aug 12, 2006.

1. nsknike macrumors regular

Hi, everyone I'm going to be buying FCS very soon, and am eligble for the studnet discount, which makes the program $699. I was just making sure that there are no water marks or anything else, that would make me want to pay the full retail price. So is it worth it to get the Student version, or the full priced version? Thank you

2. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

The student version is just the regular version being sold at a lower price. It's exactly the same.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

its the same thing, no wierd watermarks, student just means u get a discount :)

haha 1 min apart

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the only difference is that you cannot upgrade the academic version.

Are you in college? If you are, go into the school's bookstore and see if they have the software in stock. At my school they had a special going on (probably still going) that priced both Logic Pro and FCS at $249. This may have been just for film students like me since our film department has a pretty sweet deal with Apple, but definitely worth checking out.

5. djkny macrumors 6502

holy smokes ... which college? (if you don't want to blow the cover, pls PM me and quench my curiosity!)

6. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

UCSC I would assume. They really are pushing the multimedia dpt overthere... new rooms and new gear... looks nice from the web page.

Oh, and I upgraded my Academic FCP to a non academic FCS5 with the crossgrade program, but I don't know how common that will be in the future.

7. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

If I were to buy FCP at a student discount how would I go about setting it up so it were upgradeable like you did Pismo? Having to spend $700 every upgrade hardly seems like much of a discount in the longrun to me.

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yup, Pismo got it. Although the much of the staff at UCSC is not well liked among the film students, they are trying to improve the program in certain aspects. However, they have completely phased out all actual film (16mm) use and are completely digital. The department is also too focused on writing and directing and really ignores every other aspect of filmmaking. I'm going to be a senior and can't wait to graduate so I can move back to LA and actually do something productive.

I am upgrading my Final Cut academic for FCS non-academic right now too. It only works if you are upgrading from a previous version of Final Cut (4.5 and below) because you don't have a serial number for Final Cut 5. If you are just crossgrading, you get the new software but still use the same serial.

Sorry for the rant, a lot of us students get really worked up about the department.

9. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Ahhh, so if I got FCP5 now at student rate I could upgrade to the non student version come FCP6.0?

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

No. Apple was being kind due to the switch to Intel, and for the first, and probably only time, let people upgrade academic versions.

If you buy the latest Academic version of Final Cut Studio, that's what you will get, and nothing more.

11. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Bocheememon

I think I remember something.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I can't find the documentation for this on the Apple site for some odd reason.

If we buy an Academic version of FCP or other professional software, we are not allowed to make a profit off works done in Academic software.

Correct?

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

This is true too...how this could be enforced? You tell me. But yes, you are not supposed to make a profit with any of Apple's academic software.

13. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

"profit," of course, means making more than the $700 sticker price