Final Cut + XGrid = ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Would I be able to use XGrid with Final Cut Express HD so I can use all the computers on my network to make exporting QT format faster?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If Final Cut is XGrid enabled. (I don't know.)

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I know that DVD Studio Pro is cluster-enabled, but not 100% if it uses XGrid or not...

From the DVD Studio Pro page:
    Ah... In the 'Features' page of the main Final Cut Pro 5 section, under 'Compressor 2' (right side bar, emphasis mine):
    So it appears that FCP does indeed support it. Still doesn't specify if it uses XGrid or not; but the fact that it supports distributed encoding means you probably don't care what the underlying technology is. :p

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

problem is you need a big fat pipe between the machines. i dont know if gigabit is enough to transfer the kind of data used in collaborative computing (this isn't work units like folding), generally xgrids work best with fibre channel between the machines.

my boasting:
    my school has a computer lab with 12 dual 2.7 g5s with 4gb of ram, 12 dual 1.42 g4s with 2gb of ram, and 12 dual 1.0 g4s with 1.5gb of ram, an xserve, an xserve raid, and an xsan to tie it all together via fibre channel. now, if I go in there with a 2 hour long effect-filled 720p final cut pro movie and try to render it while all the machines are logged on and in use, it will take a lot more than a few hours to render and they wont let me tie up a machine for that long, but if i go in there in the off peak hours, put the files on the raid, and have all the machines working for me, 1) the schools heating bill goes down, and 2) i can render in about 20 minutes.

EDIT: so yeah, if it's set up right, FCP will share the load over many macs. Until the above post I was actually under the impression that OS X server would grid any large task.

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Oh then this does me no good, I don't run OS X server have fibre channel or even a wired network for that matter. I was just wondering if I could use it over my wireless network to speed things up a bit. But I guess not, thanks for your responses.