Final Decision: C2D Macbook vs. CD MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rovias, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Rovias macrumors member

Here's what I'm considering. Both are refurb models:

Black Macbook Core 2 Duo
    2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, $1299

-or-

Macbook Pro Core Duo
    1.83 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, $1299

I've been agonizing over this decision for a long time. The lack of RAM and the smaller hard drive in the MBP are a definite turn off, but I feel like the MB would look like crap after prolonged use, and I'm going to be keeping this machine for probably the next three years. 802.11n and 64-bit apps won't really take off for the next few years, so the processor's not a big deal.

I'm not a gamer, but I will be doing: photo editing, a dab of video editing (iMovie only, nothing extensive), web surfing, word processing, Keynote presentations, and frequent travel back and forth to Houston while I am in training. I won't be flying, as I'm within driving distance, but I will need something to lug back and forth from my hotel room to my classes.

Basically, I'm sold on the design and "easy-to-clean"-ness of the Pro, but would the Macbook be better suited for my needs?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Unless you're planning on doing some extensive processing in photoshop, or learning FCP or shake, I'd say go with the MB. The most important thing for your use will be the higher RAM, and while the MBP is easily upgradeable, you probably won't notice a difference. The 120 HD would also be better for video, as that tends to eat up space like popcorn.

3. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

I see why you're having a tough time.

I think if you are going to be doing photo/video editing, screen space is going to be the decisive factor. Unless you are planning on buying, or have an external screen, I would go macbook pro.

There are, however other factors you should look at. I love my macbook's portability, and if you are planning on going portable, the macbook has the advantage.

The macbook pro has 3 ram slots, so you can always put in an extra gig if you feel it is not fast enough.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

With those configuration as is, the MB would mop the floor with MBP. More RAM, faster more efficient CPU, and bigger hard drive to store things on.

Unless you want a larger screen on the go. There is no reason to go with the MBP.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The MBP has 2 slots I believe, it supports 3GB via a 2GB and 1GB stick.

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The MBP has 2 ram slots.

7. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

Sorry, my bad. thx for correcting me

8. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

Well, portability is a factor in my purchase, but by "portability" I basically mean "from my desk to my couch to my bed." The only forseeable time I'll be traveling with it is for my job training which is one week each month from March-July. Other than that, I'll just be using it around my house as my primary machine.

I don't have the money to upgrade the RAM right away, so maybe I'd better think about that as well. I could probably afford to upgrade within 3-4 months.

Based on your experiences, which laptop is built better? My wife has a base model white CD Macbook that looks like it could withstand a beating, but it scratches easily. Are the black ones the same way? Also, does the MBP feel studier than the Macbook, or is it the other way around?

9. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

ive got my blackbook and a skin so it wont scratch, and its a tank. my buddy has a stock MBP and mine owns his. although its good for portability i find the screen a tad to small so im gonna get an external :D

10. buffalo macrumors 65816

Unless you really want the Pro, I would go with the MacBook. The Black looks nice, and it seems like the better deal with C2D, 2X RAM, and 40 more gigs. From what I've read on here, you'll benifit with the extra RAM using Word with Rosetta.

11. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour