Final design of magazine cover, 2 choices

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CrackedButter, Apr 16, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay here are my 2 final designs, i thank all to who have given me input, advice, links and other information, i have learned quite alot.

The design aspect wasn't the most important part for me for this part of this project but you guys have had some influence and i've taken it onboard.

Here are the final 2 designs:
    This one...
    [​IMG]

...or this one
    [​IMG]

I personally think number one is the better.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Much better, The only thing that I would drop is the rounded box that proclaims what is in this issue. Loose the box, but keep the text. Just make the box and frame transparent. Also add page numbers so that people can jump to the articles. (I know that Vogue and the like do not do this, so people have to flip through ads, but other mags. do.)

Something else to add is a Zebra code. Many mags have them on the front cover, along with pricing information. The back page is reserved, in some cases, for advertising. If I remember correctly, it is the most expensive page to advertise on.

Of the two, I like the top one.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

nice design, mostly. but i would lose the gradients in the text BGs and maybe put some drop shadows on them if you don't get rid of them altogether as previously recommended. i also recommend against the rounded edges.

between the two, the latter would be better if you fit the image in more cleanly (not in the corner completely?)

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'm using Appleworks and the one thing that does bug me is the lack of any sort of transparecy option, is there one? I could could do it i would do it and make the box transparent!

I'm sure somebody is bound to mention the whiteness coming from the iBook but can i remove that whiteness with Appleworks.

Also does Freehand MX allow imports from Appleworks?

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it's not a very complicated cover. it seems like you could transfer it layer by layer with the clipboard to an empty doc in photoshop or freehand (if it supports layers) pretty fast. i would definitely take the time if it lets you add transparency &c.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I use M$ Office (Word) much as you have done.
    I am trying to remember AppleWorks.
    Did you create it as a document or as a picture?
    If it was as a picture, you can drop the text with out haveing a box.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Nice Work

I like them a lot more than your first try. Of the two I prefer the first, but agree with Eniregnat that you should work on the text box with the headlines.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

The text box in the second one looks like it is crowding the title, which looks bad. I like the little iBook picture, though. Do you really need the text box at all?

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

just out of curiosity, why are you using AppleWorks for layout? not that it's a terrible idea, just not what i was expecting. does your school supply software like Quark or InDesign? if not, you should take advantage of your status and grab up as much student-discounted software as you can before you graduate. here is a good place to do that:
    http://www.journeyed.com

10. MacDuff macrumors regular

Oh dear goodness please change the typeface for your magazine logo. That type is excruciatingly dated and does not fit with the look of clean futurist-axis design that apple presents. that also means do NOT use italics, it breaks fundamental logical typopgraphy standards. Also, I really don't think the exclaimation point or gradients help the design either - very very dated and much too "snazzy". It goes right along with the spray paint on the wall fonts which we all enjoyed back in our 21 Jumpstreet days.

Other than that, it looks good. Hope that can help. Go learn InDesign or Quark, they're fundamentally great.

11. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Much better, the first option is the better of the two in my opinion. A few comments:

1. You STILL have a typo in the heading, it surely should be "Latest" and not "Lastest"

2. The font used for the heading is terribly dated.

3. Personally, I would remove all exclamation marks. For example, simply saying "Innovate" in a more modern, technological feeling font would be a lot more professional.

4. Ditto the italics, dump 'em.

5. I would also consider removing the rounded box for the table of contents. Just have the text on top of the image, consider making the text white. Red is a bad choice for a text heading as it really "glares" at you.

All in my opinion only. Nice work.
    cheers
    Vanilla

12. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

There are no discounts at my campus (i live in the UK), its mainly pc's they use there, i'm the only one using a mac!

However at the other college down the road from me (same institution just different college premisies) they have their design block there with loads of classic imacs and sunflower imacs.

I suppose i could use and speak with them there, trouble is its not my campus and the only mac user friend i have is very hard to get hold of, but he does do graphic design.

I'll take a look there later today then and see what they got.

Thanks again, i'll change that type as well, i still didn't notice it!

13. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay, i hate to double post but i just got a temp pass at the local design block, thanks, i'll be able to use Quark and/or Illustrator applications next wednesday.

Thanks once again for the help.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you know, just because your school uses PC only doesn't mean you aren't eligible for student discounts. I believe you just need valid prrof that you ar a college student, and that will garner you a discount at an education store, be that online or locally.

15. naumann macrumors newbie

I am totally unimpressed.
    What is it that you created here? You drew some boxes and randomly splashed type across the page. I despise it when people use stock imagery for class, especially when they resize without constraining the proportions.

I hate to be mean, but I hope you're just doing this for a hobby. I was nice on your other version that I saw, but you didn't change anything on this one. Same web ripped images, same typeface, same typos.

I'm sorry, not enough fixing for me.

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow, you really let him down easy, eh?

i just noticed the unconstrained proportions though when he mentioned it. that is way tacky; you should get a better image.

17. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

First one looks better. Maybe without the gradients in small boxes, instead solid colors maybe? And the red text seems to pop too much, maybe a something more subtle, so that focus is on the main image?

18. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

@naumann'

Fair comment and i'll remember that, but this is only for my media studies course (nothing to do with graphic design), nothing special, however i will go and find a better image to see if it will scale better.

Thanks.