Final Fantasy 12 Demo.. my opinion on it.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Archmagination, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2004
    I bought Dragon Quest 8 last week and it came with a playable demo of Final Fantasy 12. I would like some other posters input on it. I have some issues with it.. mainly the combat department.

Graphics- 10/10. Square/Enix have long mastered the graphics for the Final Fantasy series.. and 12 has some of the best graphics ever seen on the PS2.. even in Demo form.

Storyline- Incomplete. The demo really doesn't reveal any storylines(Though maybe you could say the FMV's do, but I think there is more to the main storyline than that) Judging from the FMV's there will be several different storyline's twining together to create one grand and defining story. A princess dethroned and on the run, a dashing sky pirate, a boy(thief) wanting to be a sky pirate, the girl(the boys friend/girlfriend or sister) who hates violence and wants peace and a knight despised as a traitor. It seems like the story may be much deeper than 10's was.. they certainly managed to make the previews more interesting than 10's were.

FMV's- 10/10. Beautiful and dropdead gorgeous sequences that revealed tantalizing parts of the storyline and just serv to make me curious and wanting more.

Combat/Gameplay-4/10. The greatest dissapointment in this game has to be the combat... Its starts out okay.. one person you directly control(leader).. you can change whos the leader through the dpad.(In the demo you can't change/control the AI of the other party characters, but in the game you will have that option) Movement is the same as in FF10 and FF10-2. Selecting the monster you want to fight is okay too, but then thats where everything starts getting annoying and frustrating.

Square/Enix seemed to have just copied the FF11 combat system and altered it just enough to make it a real bore. Imagine FF11's combat system with no special abilitys to use(at least in the FF12 demo) and no combos. You run up into range and just start attacking.. you just stand there not even needing to do anything.. once the attack or magic command is pressed you just start attacking with what you have selected as an attack over and over again.. you can still basicly move freely and try dodging the monsters attack, but it doesn't really work that well. Its really boring and frustrating because it requires almost no human interaction.. most of the time I just selected attack once and then watched the battle unfold.. I was never in any danger.. I actually went to the bathroom at the start of a boss battle(I just selected attack) and when I came back the boss was just defeated and I and my teammates had a loss of 75hp or so each to the boss.

Overall I would give the demo a 6/10.. Great graphics and fantasic FMV's, but the overall experience was dragged down by a boring and unimaginative combat system.
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    so graphics are great and gameplay sucks

so basically its a movie. wow, wonderful.
  3. PharmD macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    So Square are further cementing themselves with the belief that they will never make a game worthy of FF7?
  5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    The trailer made me think that it's a cross between King Arthur and Star Wars.
  6. Archmagination thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2004
    Good.. its not the greatest RPG I have ever played, but it is one of the better ones. Overall a 8.5/10. Thats mainly because they didn't do anything inventive.. its just a classic RPG with updated graphics.
  7. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    i actually wonder why they haven't scratched the game parts completly and went to "interactive movie where you have to decide and 4 points" already