Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
So - Final Fantasy on the DS...

III - Worth getting? Going to last me as long as a typical PS2 FF offering or not?

XII - Currently Japan only - anyone know if it's going to be getting a US/EU port?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
3 is incredible. It retains old skool difficulty and charm along with dynamic new 3D models, the soundtrack is one of the best in a FF game IMO and isn't full of handholding tutorials.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
III was a waste of money imho. Story was average I suppose, the battles were slow and basically required me to push 'attack' over and over to win them (cept for bosses, damn they put up a challenge) the graphics are unappealing and overall I just did not like it at all. After about 22 hours of playing it I sold it to a buddy.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I'd stay away from III unless you love old school 8-bit RPGs. It looks nice but it's very monotonous and slow.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
lol it might sound awful but I've read so many reviews that are just fan**** that I figured getting other people's viewpoints were probably a fairer review. :) Thanks for the suggestion mind!

yeah, i'd never trust a gamefaq review, take a look at something like metacritic.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't read into them, just look at the average figure of the review scores.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I started to play FF III and then stopped. It's fun enough, but you really have to be in the mood for slogging through an old school 8 bit crawler. I plan on getting back to it... eventually.

I don't fault the story though. RPG stories are as predictable as romantic comedies and false horror movie endings.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
So...how does it suffer for being a port from 8bit? I'm confused as to the meaning there.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Imagine taking a 1991 Volkswagon Jetta and giving it a new paint job, putting some new wheels, a nicer car stereo, maybe even a turbo charger (with an iPod adapter of course). Even though it looks a lot nicer, performs a littler better and what not at its heart it would still be a 1991 Jetta.

FF III looks better, and there have been some tweaks here and there, but the story and style of play are still very anchored in the early days of the Sqaure and Nintendo when not a lot of expectations and technical abilities were an option.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
After playing all the different Final Fantasy games on PS and PS2.. FFIII was a real treat on the DS. The graphics are very high for it being on a handheld and the gameplay is old school that everyone can enjoy. There is a difficulty towards the end of the game, but nothing impossible. The game has my two thumbs up!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
To answer OP, Revenant Wing is coming to US in Winter, Tactics PSP, DQ Joker and DQ Swords also this year for US.

LOS ANGELES, May 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is bringing the next installments in the vaunted DRAGON QUEST(R) franchise and the all-new IVALICE ALLIANCE(TM) to North America. This exciting announcement brings forth four new titles that are set to revolutionize the way that players experience video gaming on the Nintendo DS(TM), Wii(TM) and the PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) system in the coming year.

Having sold more than 41 million units worldwide, DRAGON QUEST is the premiere RPG franchise that has captivated audiences around the world for more than 20 years. Combining ingenious gameplay elements from series creator Yuji Horii, character designs from famed artist Akira Toriyama and music from renowned composer Koichi Sugiyama, the "golden trio" of game designers has delivered a timeless franchise that continues to reinvent itself in new and exciting ways. For 2007 and 2008 Square Enix will expand the franchise with the release of DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS -Joker(TM), an addictive handheld monster collection RPG, and DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors(TM), an intuitive action RPG for the Wii home video game system.

Ten years after FINAL FANTASY TACTICS(R) gave birth to the world of Ivalice, Square Enix introduces IVALICE ALLIANCE, a cachet of titles set in the fantastical game world that serves as the backdrop for classic titles such as FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS Advance and FINAL FANTASY(R) XII. Comprised of two unique titles for North America thus far, the IVALICE ALLIANCE seeks to offer a diverse collection of titles for a multitude of platforms. Discover a new Ivalice with every addition to the alliance, each crafted by a development team with a unique vision.

DRAGON QUEST DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker Platform: Nintendo DS ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: Q4 2007

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker is the latest installment in the venerable RPG franchise that has sold more than 41 million units worldwide. Developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS and arriving in North America in Q4 2007, players assume the role of a monster hunter as they capture, train and breed a powerful army from more than 200 classic DRAGON QUEST creatures in order to become the world's greatest monster trainer. Already achieving sales of more than 1 million units in Japan, DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker is a breakout title that combines the depth of a classic DRAGON QUEST RPG with the addictiveness of a monster catching adventure.

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Platform: Wii ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: TBA

Developed from the ground up to take advantage of the Nintendo Wii and its motion sensing technology, the worldwide phenomenon that has captivated more than 41 million players across the world slashes its way onto Nintendo's next- generation platform in 2008 in the form of DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. This exclusive title utilizes the Wii's motion sensing controls as players use the Wii remote to slash, parry and slice their way through a land filled with trademark DRAGON QUEST foes. Developed with both longtime fans and casual audiences in mind, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors is poised to take video gaming to an entirely new level of fun and interaction.

IVALICE ALLIANCE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions Platform: PSP system ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: October 2007

Originally released in 1997, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions is a portable update on the classic turn-based strategy game that gave birth to the world of Ivalice. In development exclusively for the PSP system, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The Lion War features PSP system exclusive content not found on the original classic including all-new CG sequences, all-new jobs, new 16:9 widescreen presentation, new head-to-head multiplayer and new storyline elements that refine the genesis of the IVALICE ALLIANCE. FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions will be released simultaneously in North American and European territories.

FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS(TM) Platform: Nintendo DS ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: Coming this Winter

Continuing the story of the beloved classic that captivated more than 5 million players around the world, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS progresses the tale that won numerous accolades from the industry's top publications. Developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS is a sophisticated experience that commands full use of the Nintendo DS functionality. Featuring full Touch Screen functionality, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS allows players to control massive armies, utilize special moves and activate Gambits, all with the use of the stylus. The world of Ivalice comes alive through the classic musical composition of Hitoshi Sakimoto and the direction of Motomu Toriyama, the director of FINAL FANTASY X-2 and the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XIII.

About Square Enix Co., Ltd. and Square Enix, Inc.

Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, develops, publishes and distributes entertainment content including interactive entertainment software and publications in Asia, North America and Europe. Square Enix brings two of Japan's best-selling franchises - FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 75 million units worldwide, and DRAGON QUEST, which has sold over 41 million units worldwide - under one roof. Square Enix is one of the most influential providers of digital entertainment content in the world and continues to push the boundaries of creativity and innovation.

DRAGON QUEST, DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - JOKER, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS, FINAL FANTASY, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, IVALICE ALLIANCE, THE MASKED QUEEN AND THE TOWER OF MIRRORS, REVENANT WINGS, SQUARE ENIX and the Square Enix logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd. in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Square Enix, Inc.

Copyright © 2007 PR Newswire. All rights reserved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.