Final Fantasy VII+VIII on Windows XP using Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Games' started by ghall, Dec 2, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hello. I'm definitaly getting Windows XP for my MacBook Pro, because a project I'm working on requires Windows. :( Well, basically, I also want to get a few games for it, and I was wondering if anyone has had any expierience playing the Windows version of Final Fantasy VII and/or VIII. I know I have to get a special patch for FF VII to run it on Windows XP, but is there anything else I should look out for? Thanks.

2. czeluff macrumors 6502

answer

should be perfectly fine.

I run FFXI on bootcamp, and it works very well. FF7 and FF8 have much lower reqs, so there should be no issue.

keep in mind i have an MBP. But even the Intel GPU can handle ff7 and ff8. theyre super old by today's standards. Onboard video plays them pretty smoothly.

Diablo 2 is harder to run than them, and it gets EATEN by standard macbooks.

cz

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Sweet. Thanks.

How is Final Fantasy XI by the way? I was considering getting that one too, but the subscription price turned me off. Is it worth it?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My girlfriend runs FF7 on her desktop PC, 2ghz AMD something with a Geforce MX440. Ancient video card but runs in the games highest res perfectly (800*600?). Don't worry about it, will run very nice.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

How are the controls? I heard they're a little funky.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Using a USB joypad :) much better she says!

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Do you think a iShock 2 will work?

8. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i played loads of FFVII on my windows computer back in the day. the first time i installed it on win xp, the animated sequences wouldnt run. i had to fool around with the games program files to get that one to work. the second time i installed it, it ran perfectly fine and every time after that has been error free. i dont know about FF VIII but 7 with run fine with the patch

9. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

the controls on default on the num pad. yea it really sucks that way. i had a playstation controller for my powerbook so i just used that. im sure you could change the keys to something else on the keyboard, but a cheap controller might be more fun

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been running VIII on my iMac under XP without any problems, however I did need to change a setting: The game ran abominably until I set it to run in 98 compatibility mode at 640x480. I'm not sure which of those settings fixed it as I did them both at the same time, but it doesn't hurt to turn them both on.

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks for the tip.

BTW: Just ordered Final Fantasy VII on eBay. Found a good deal. Can't wait to finally play it.

12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Just in case you're interested, there is a really good game save editor that I've used for the PC version of FFVII called Jenova. I found it listed for download here after a quick search: http://www.rreactor.com/pcdl.html

I can't vouch for anything but Jenova, but you may be interested in the others listed there.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Kinda boring, too expensive.

Btw, what is this mythical XP patch? I've been running FFVII on XP for a while, with no hiccups of any sort

15. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Really? I heard there were mostly problems with the Chocobo racing, I think. Maybe you got lucky. I dunno.

Can't wait to get it. Still waiting for my PayPal transfer to clear. :(

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I haven't really looked into this yet but it could be an option. You could possibly go down to your local second hand games shop and pick up FFVII & FFVIII for the PSone and then run them in an emulator. The reason I suggest this is that emulators can often run games at far higher resolutions than they were supposed to, i.e. if FFVII is limited to a resolution of 1024x768 on the PC but you have a res of 2560x1600 then an emulator could probably accomodate you. They often have ways of adding detail too such as the high resolution texture packs for Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Just a thought, especially if you're having compatability issues.

17. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I borrowed my friends FFVII for PlayStation, and tried that. It ran like crap!

18. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

One will quickly find that FFVII will have terribly slow graphics in emulation...I believe they used some sort of obscure rendering techniques that can't be emulated very well...My advice is to either play it in compatability mode on PC in XP, run it in Win 98, or better yet just play it on Playstation.

19. Micrll macrumors member

I did a comparison with someone and we found that the PC version does look better, its sharper, then again this was on a PC monitor that can change resolutions to anything. You will probebly need the chocobo patch. Also mine has a tendency to crash often. Save Early Save Often!

20. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I found a patch that adds Windows XP compatibility. The file is called FFVIIXP.EXE, has anyone had any expeirience with that?