Final Fantasy XI Mac port?

Discussion in 'Games' started by fistful, Mar 29, 2004.

1. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I'm planning on purchasing a 12' G4 PB in the near future and this was my only minor deterrent before the purchase, either way I've made up my mind. Anyways I'm just wondering if there is any chance at all Final Fantasy XI will be ported over to the Mac? I find it highly doubtful but here's to hoping!

:rolleyes:

2. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

I can't find any suggestion anywhere that this is going to happen. Looks like your best bet is either to pick up a PS2... alternativly a Gamecube and Crystal Chronicles might be fun.

3. tom.96 macrumors regular

I would love it if they brought out final fantasy to the mac. I would buy it for sure, and I think many others would too. At the moment though it looks unlikely - haven't heard anything regarding this and I try and follow the mac games scene quite closely

4. fistful thread starter macrumors 6502a

fistful

I already have both of those systems. I just couldn't justify buying everything you need to play it(the game, HDD, network adaptor, oh yeah I'd need another usb keyboard and on top of that there's the monthly fee)when I'd have a computer that could run it excellently ?

5. shyataroo macrumors regular

STAY AWAY FROM CRYSTAL CHRONICLES... I made the mistake of buying it... its not very fun especially for a Final Fantasy Game... my suggestion... wait till W.O.W. or get a SNES +Final Fantasy 4,5,6 (2,5,3 in america) and you will be set. If you already have a PS2 and a network adapter than go out buy the XI+Hard Drive pack or.. you can pray to god that square enix will wisen up and port Final Fantasy XI for mac.

6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

how did you get that crazy idea???

it won't be ported, no frikken chance!!! why should they even think about it in the first place..?

when will people finally stop asking "will [insert your favorite game on a platform of your choice here] be released/ported for/to Mac???" :rolleyes:

vSpacken

7. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

FFXI... I think it's actually the best game I ever played! And I'm a guy who put 750 hours into PSO and 400 hours into the original PS1 FF tactics.

This game is huge. so many things to do, and they keep updating it. I think I'll be playing for years on. I might have to try W.O.W. too if the reviews are good.

PS2 players can play with PC players on the same servers. Nice touch SquareEnix. It would have been fun having a mac version but I don't expect it... ever. (Thank you blizzard for acknowledging our existance, thank you.)

P.S.: I'm a Bastokian Galka Warrior well on his way to become a shiny Paladin.

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

um because when people show interest game companies port. No joke. There are companies who actually put up forms for people to fill out to show interest in a Mac version of their product to see if it will be worthwhile to do so, and there have been cases where it has happened. Kind of like letter drives to save a TV show. Its no gaurentee but it doesn't hurt to try.

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wouldn't hold my breath expecting to see this come to the Mac.
    I would have expected to see Star Wars Galaxies (also a Sony project) come to the Mac by now, but they have no plans on ever porting it.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

Seriously, if it's ready, they'll announce it. If not, well too bad. If you want to show your support, send an e-mail to the porting houses.

I for one had enough of FF. They don't make it like they used to.

Based on the popularity (or lack there of) of EverQuest, I doubt FF XI will even have a chance. MMORPGs aren't popular on the Mac.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think I'll have to agree with that. Mostly*. Especially since IF they did port it, it's 99.99999999% likely that it'll be for a Mac-only community. To be honest, in a fit of boredom, I tried out EverCrack for the Mac today for the first time. What a P.O.S. 2 people where on, me and some other dude. Not quite what I expected.

* ClanLord is pretty popular.

13. shyataroo macrumors regular

i want city of heroes to come out for the mac... say anyone want to give me thier G5's with ATI Raedon 9800 Pro?

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I just emailed Square about a Mac version of FFXI. In a (probably futile) attempt to make the Mac game market seem bigger, I phrased the question in a way that implies that we expect all games to be available ("who publishes the Mac version?" instead of "is there a Mac version?").

I actually emailed them several months ago too, and they never replied. I innocently assume that it just got lost somewhere, although in reality I'm pretty sure they just binned it deliberately :mad:

Maybe some more of you should email them too? Just a word of warning - their online enquiry form is an absolute nightmare.

15. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I'm... stunned.

The major issue holding you back from buying a mac is a single game that could be played (much more cheaply) on a console you already possess? Wow.

:confused:

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I dunno, Sony has has really bad mac support for EQ, and it was released pretty far after the PC version...

I think WOW might change the fact that MMORPGs aren't popular on macs. I think a company that has been really good to the mac market like Blizzard has been is going to do really well with WOW (heck, even I want to buy it and I don't play MMORPGs).

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

On good thing about playing Final Fantasy on the PS2 rather than playing it on TV is that I have access to the internet and my synthing guides at the same time I play ^_^

This game ia soooooo addictive. I sometime play for 30-40 hours a week! Dang! I gotta take it easy. This game is sooo huge that I can positively say that I won't ever be able to do everything. Heck! It expands faster (with updates) that I can explore it. At the time I've stopped levelling my PLD18/War09 Galka to concentrate on his fishing carreer. Yeah... you heard me right.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Fishing. What a fascination! Dark Cloud series, Breath of Fire series, and in FFX IX too?