Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afterworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Has anyone tried running Playonline and FFXI through boot camp yet? Has Steve answered my prayers? I'm waiting on baited breath for confirmation. I was totally addicted to the game when I owned a Windows laptop, and I've missed it (though not enough to switch back to Windows) ever since I converted. If it works now, with boot camp ... I'm selling my Powerbook and buying a Macbook Pro TODAY. :D

Tensai

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
Runs like a champ

LOL...

This and one other program was the only reason I decided to sell my 12" Powerbook for a new Intel iMac.

It will run and it runs well. I'm getting some odd tearing in the graphics, but that has nothing to do with the Mac and everything to do with the older FFXI gfx code. I'm still tweaking the video for the optimum settings, but suffice it to say that it's as good as it will ever get on a PC.

I've got the entire process up on my .Mac page... still working on comparison shots.

http://web.mac.com/fsewald/

-Ten

Afterworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks a ton for the reply! I'll be selling my Powerbook for an Intel-eqiupped shortly.

I love you, Steve Jobs!

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
A lot of my friends play this and I used to, so I'm installing it again tonight and am gonna give it another go. The sucky part is it has to patch all night. Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion pack is out tomorrow!

Steve

Tensai

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
Couple of tips I've picked up...

I've used the RegEdit hack to go in and turn on the mipmapping (currently at 3) and upped the bitmap from 1024 x 1024 to 1536 x 1536. I'm capping consistently at 29 FPS using FRAPS (which is the self-imposed cap by the game).

I can't turn on all effects, you should leave shadows on normal. Otherwise it gets really choppy in the cities or with a lot of characters on the screen. Otherwise everything is cranked.

The only thing that I'm noticing, is what appears to be a redraw issue when panning around the screen. The framerate is still capped, so it's a software issue of some type. I don't think FFXI was ever intended to run at 1680 x 1050, but I'm going to play with the setting a bit more.

Any other tips or tricks people pick up, I'm interested

-Ten

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Tensai said:
Couple of tips I've picked up...

I've used the RegEdit hack to go in and turn on the mipmapping (currently at 3) and upped the bitmap from 1024 x 1024 to 1536 x 1536. I'm capping consistently at 29 FPS using FRAPS (which is the self-imposed cap by the game).

I can't turn on all effects, you should leave shadows on normal. Otherwise it gets really choppy in the cities or with a lot of characters on the screen. Otherwise everything is cranked.

The only thing that I'm noticing, is what appears to be a redraw issue when panning around the screen. The framerate is still capped, so it's a software issue of some type. I don't think FFXI was ever intended to run at 1680 x 1050, but I'm going to play with the setting a bit more.

Any other tips or tricks people pick up, I'm interested

-Ten

Have you tried using the Windower at all? Does that work?

Steve

Tensai

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
I'm a firm believer in ToS, so I won't touch the Windower with a 10-foot pole. :D

I would presume there wouldn't be any issue using it, however YMMV.

-Ten

buffster244

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2006
FFXI for mac patch?

Hey guys. I love playin FF on my ps2 and HATE it on my pc. I own a mac because I'm a graphic design student. I WANNA PLAY ON MY MAC howwwww!?!?

please respond.:confused:

vonnie1999

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
powerbooks and FFXI???

is there anyway under heaven .... anyway at all ....that I can play my FFXI on my powerbook g4...plzzzzzzz tell me how....:confused:

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
vonnie1999 said:
is there anyway under heaven .... anyway at all ....that I can play my FFXI on my powerbook g4...plzzzzzzz tell me how....:confused:

Sorry you're out of luck. :-(

It's not that amazing of a game anyway, but it has its fan.

glaucus

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
hey tensai, i just installed xp on my macbook last night and have been curious about whether or not it would run ffxi (i'm on ps2 right now and tired of it |B) and i'm excited that someone has done it already!

might i ask how much space you partitioned to windows and how much tweaking you've needed to do to get it to run well if at all? i don't intend to run it as nearly high a resolution as you--about half. should there be much overwhelming tweaking involved or would you say it's pretty simple "out of box" aside from dealing with the xp installation?

i'll be keeping an eye on your blog, i'm very interested to see how the process goes for ya :)

oLLa

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
MacRumorUser said:
Buy a PS2 or Xbox 360 :D

I've been playing it on my PC for about 2 years..;)

But I want to bring it with me, now that I have bought the new MB. Anyone?

What is the best choice, Boot Camp or Virtual PC 7?

peteraigner

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Sry for pushing this old thread up

But is anything new known about FFXI + mac?

I just bought an iMac and still want to play, without stressing my new iMac too much ^^

kiracat

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
FFXI on my mac

I need some help.. Can i run FFXI on my new MacBook?! someone please help!

Cidatapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
clarification

first, to run FFXI on your mac you need three things, #1, you have to have an INTEL mac, #2, you need either bootcamp or parallels, and #3 you need a retail copy of XP /w service pack 2

Second, Virtual PC does not allow graphic acceleration, this means the vPC7 will not let you play most games,

now, revisiting on my first point, you can go here;
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572
And learn all you need to about running windows on your INTEL Mac

as a side not, neither method for running XP on your masc are supported by apple, they will assist you in booting back into OSX, or reformatting your drive only, unless your having issues in OSX

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
This is my favorite MMORPG. It's more fun if you have a group of friends to make a static party. I'm running FFXI with Dell 24 Inch 1920 X 1200 with everything Max Out with RegEdit to 2048 X 2048 Resolution and I don't even get lag or slow down. Mac Pro with ATI X1900 will run this just fine! Hope this help.

Epathu

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2007
Help!

I am currently using Parallels and have installed all of the Mac Drivers the same way you would using Boot Camp. Everything in windows seems to be working well except FFxi. Everytime I try to load the game it says the following:

"Terminated as error occured in Final Fantasy XI. Failed to initialize Direct 3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run Final Fantasy XI.(-1)"

Im not the dumbest when it comes to computers but I am getting to frustrated to figure this out. If anyone can please help I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
just so i'm clear, can someone break down what this is all about.

i have an intel mac with bootcamp and xp

do i need to buy FFXI ? how does one start playing this game?

Is it free to play online? somehow i doubt it.

Thanks.

You will need to get the installer CDs for FFXI and install them on your bootcamp windows partition. You probably can pick the CDs up used for cheap. You then sign up through the game and pay a 15 dollar monthly fee. Sounds pricey, but this is one great game.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
I am currently using Parallels and have installed all of the Mac Drivers the same way you would using Boot Camp. Everything in windows seems to be working well except FFxi. Everytime I try to load the game it says the following:

"Terminated as error occured in Final Fantasy XI. Failed to initialize Direct 3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run Final Fantasy XI.(-1)"

Im not the dumbest when it comes to computers but I am getting to frustrated to figure this out. If anyone can please help I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

You cannot run FFXI in parallels because it will require 3D acceleration from the graphics card. You will need to use bootcamp if you want to play this or any similar game. There are guides on here for installing bootcamp. Good luck!

jmwatson84

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Problems using Parallels 3.0

I don't really know exacty if this has been addressed, but i couldn't find it anywhere in the thread. I am running Parallels 3.0 off of a Macbook Pro, and I am having a few problems running ffxi in it. I can get PoL to load perfectly, the problem comes when I try to run ffxi, after I click the Play button from the PoL viewer and it changes resolution sizes the screen image only takes up about 1/4 of the top left part of the screen, and it appears that the only shows the bottom left hand part of what should be shown, meaning that the screen seems to only display a portion of what is runing. Also I have noticed that when it does load the title screen and the character selection screen and finally log into ffxi it has jumbled up images of what was shown previously in the background, i.e. the blue title screen etc.

Has anyone else had this problem, I've had no problem logging in or getting the actually program to load, its simply a video problem, and a resolution problem I believe.

Any advice would help thanks.

montek

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
first, to run FFXI on your mac you need three things, #1, you have to have an INTEL mac, #2, you need either bootcamp or parallels, and #3 you need a retail copy of XP /w service pack 2

There appears to be conflicting information on this page. Are you SURE you can run FFXI on an Intel MacBook Pro with Parallels 3.0? I would absolutely prefer to do this with Parallels over Bootcamp but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Can anyone say definitively that you can run FFXI on an Intel Mac with XP SP2 and Parallels?

Thanks so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.