Final Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'Games' started by supergod, Mar 30, 2006.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

They're saying it's going to be PS3 exclusive. But to have one so shortly after XII (even if XII was delayed so long) would be crazy for them. Too much. I think maybe what they need next is another side story game in the final fantasy universe while they can work longer and Final Fantasy XIII and make it a strong second generation game (like FFX).

This is all of course just a completely unfounded idea, but couldn't they show off a remake or sequel to Final Fantasy VII? I mean, it's the only footage they've shown so far for PS3 (The demo video of a recreation of the opening sequence of Final Fantasy VII). And they've been hyping it with Advent Children too. How much info do they need to give away before we can conclude that they're going to remake this game? I mean, I even remember reading articles saying that they had lessened their statement that the video was just a tech test and said that it might possibly be a game.

2. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I know this is a slight departure (not an intentional high-jack) but since you seem to be in the know regarding FF I wanted to ask you.

I have an unopened copy of FFX. When the WoW server (I'm new to WoW) was down the other day I told my buddy- I'm going to open FFX and see if that's any fun. He responded, "That's the worst version of FF ever."

Is this so? I still haven't played it as the server came back up and I'm getting pretty obsessed with WoW.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well I thoroughly enjoyed FFX the honor for worst FF game ever in my mind has to go to FFX2. I have picked up most of the anthology collections for PS/PS2 and admittedly have not played much of the real FFII (FFII in the US was really FFIV), FFVIII, FFIX, and have never played FFXI. However once I finish grad school I'll probably start picking up some of the games I have not played much. I started on a game of FFX2 and cannot see myself playing it much more. The best analogy I can come up with is that FFX2 is like playing a game based on one of the Charlie's Angels movies, only worse... yes, it's that bad...at least in my opinion.

4. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Final Fantasy VIII is at least the most dissapointing game, if not necassarily the worst. The ending especially is really awful.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

FFVIII was decent I thought, the worst part was the ending. I liked VII the best. Personally I think that FFX was a good game although it wasn't that difficult.

He is probably mixing it up with FFX-2, that is a bad game.

6. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I don't really understand what this thread is about. It's safe to assume the next installment will be on the PS3 (has Square Enix even announced FF XIII let alone it's exclusivity?) but it won't be out for at least another 2-3 years, FF XII isn't even out in North America yet. Now a remake of FF VII I could see within the first year of the PS3s release but that's about it.

DrStrangelove , FF X is a pretty good game although the main protagonist is slightly annoying. If you liked VII-IX chances are you'll enjoy X.

7. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. The point is that apparently next month EGM is reporting that ffXIII is going to be PS3 exclusive and videos of it are going to be shown at E3.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I too think it's a matter of time before FF VII gets remade. So far they have released FF1, FF2, and FF4 on the GBA with FF5 & 6 already annouced for GBA as well (perhaps even out now?). FF3, missing from that list, was on the Famicom (NES) and is getting completely recreated with full 3D graphics for the DS. (FF1, 2, 3 were Famicom, only FF1 came to the USA)

This is pretty interesting to me since it means FF1-6 will be out on Nintendo handhelds.

Now if they are going through a complete 3D remake of FF3 for DS I just don't see why they would avoid remaking FF7 for PS3, it's a sure fire hit... most FF fans want it!

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

FF VII and VIII were the best two out of them all, period. The Japanese finally got something right with those two games.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

There are two FF fan crowds I've noticed, those that started playing RPGs before FF7 and those that started with FF7. The split usually goes "FF7/8 sucked" and "FF7/8 are the best", lol.

Coming from the NES/SNES days of RPGs, I don't personally see FF7/8 even fitting with the franchise. I'm not even talking about which games were "better", which is relative, those games just don't feel like they should have the name "Final Fantasy."

FF9 fit more, but I really didn't care much for the character design (making the characters midgets with big heads was silly to me, the NES/SNES character sprites were the way they were because of technical limitations, not because they were suppose to be big-head midgets.)

To me, the FF movie "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" fit in the same series as FF7/8; but not the originals.

As for my own opinion, FF6 (FF3 US) was the best in the series, 8 was the worst, and 7 was an utter disappoint - if not mostly because it didn't feel like an FF game.

11. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with most of what you say except about not liking FFVII because it didn't fit with the series. My feeling when I played that game was that it was not about fitting in with the series but rather about shocking it. By making an RPG that was so different stylistically they could open up the playing field for different RPGs. The problem is that a lot of the post FFVII RPGS were really lame and so Square rebounded and started making more "classical" games.

And even though it is quite different from the other Final Fantasy, many aspects of FFVII are still the same. Most of the second disk of the game feels more in touch with the rest of the series I think.

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That's partly my point though, is that it should have been a new franchise but instead they wanted to capitalize on their biggest-selling franchise name.

I'm really, what other franchise did Square have besides FF? The Chrono games were definitely popular, but there was only 2 games.. and that's *after* they finally got Chrono Cross out.

Rather then diversify and come out with some new franchises they can really push, they reworked an already existing brand; which I found unnecessary.

13. benpatient macrumors 68000

FF has always been about experimentation and pushing the boundaries. i personally loved FFX and hated X2.

i personally preferred the zelda top-downs to the FF top-downs...but I preferred the 3d FFs to the 3d Zeldas...I know they are different games, but I thought important to show that I'm not anti-top down, old school. I just think FF games are better suited to the 3d world...

14. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn, that reminds me. I hope we see a new Chrono game (hopefully not PS3 exclusive: I'm only going to be able to afford a Nintendo!)

15. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

The guy who did the voice for Tidus absolutely ruined the game for me. Probably the most annoying voiceover I've ever heard in a video game. But I have a feeling I'm the only guy who gets pissed over it. :eek:

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

17. beachesandmusic macrumors newbie

I know this threads a few days old... but I just got done playing FF6 thru X-2 over the last few months, so thought I'd give my valuable $.02 :D

FF6 was definitely the best in the series. I played it and FF4 way back in the day when they were first released on the SNES. FF6 stands out among the rest as having the best story, the best music, the best villian, the best characters, and the best side quests and all around best gameplay. This game deserves to be remade more than anyother.

FF7, on the other hand, only stands a little bit above FFX for me. And FFX is definitely the worst in the series. I had to literally force myself through FF7 again. Every hour was just agonizing. The music is annoying, the characters (espicially Cloud) are weak. Sephiroth wasn't even a villian you could dislike. The minigames, like the submarine chase and the RTS-style game, were a pain. FF7 is entirely overrated. I'll go so far to say as the only reason this game is so highly regarded is because it was many peoples first FF game and because of it's FMV. It's not as overrated as say.. the Zelda: OoT or Halo, but still very overrated. The ending was downright terrible too.

FF8 had a great story, aside from the "time compression" during the end. But the characters, the music, and the story were all excellent. It had some good music, which also helped a lot. Eyes on Me was a song that many of my women friends loved and they wouldn't ever touch the game. My 2nd favorite in the series. Better than FF7 in every way.

FF9 was good too, despite the terrible character design and short gameplay. The music wasn't very good, but the story that drew all of the characters together and the way they all worked together and the events that happened more than made up for the ridiculously stupid character design. If this game ever gets remade, they better drop the stupid character designs. It wouldn't affect the story at all if they redesigned the characters.

FFX... graphically beautiful game. Even by todays standards, there are some scenes that are just beautiful and the "best" character models are better than just about anyother game out there, except X-2 and 12. The battle system was awful. Incredibly boring. It was made even worse by the stupid Sphere Grid. The people who came up with the Sphere Grid, Tidus, and the One Path World should all be fired and never allowed to design a game again. FFX would have been great without those three things. If FFX ever gets remade, they need to drop the Sphere Grid, go back to EXP based levelling and use FFX-2's battle system.

FFX-2 was a little girly. But once you realize it's a videogame, you can see that it's considerably better than FFX. The worst FF character yet (followed closely by Cloud) is gone, the graphics are cleaned up, the music isn't ripping off the previous 3 games, and theres no mandatory asinine Blitzball game. The battle system in FFX-2 was perfected. They really should use that battle system in all remakes and future games. I'd play this game again before FF7 and FFX.

I've been playing a bit of FF12 too. The import, obviously. It's a lot better than X so far. The graphics are better. I'm not fond of the MMORPG style of gameplay and fighting, though. But just about anything is better than FFX was.

For me it goes FF6, 8, 9, X-2, 12, 7, 10. If a remake of FF7 were made before the others, the only reason I'd pick it up is to encourage remakes of other, better FF games.

I also wanted to say that FF8, 9, and 10 were all released within one year of eachother. 8 came out in '99, 9 in 2000, and X in 2001. So it's not entirely impossible for FF13 to be released next year.

And no, I'm not a huge gaming nerd! haha. I only play Ratchet, FF, Gran Turismo 4, and GTA. Everything else is too.. boring :( Games definitely aren't as good as they used to be.

Oh, itcheroni, you're definitely not the only one to get pissed at Tidus ;) His voice acting was terrible. Which is strange because the actor who voiced his character does great in everyother job he has ever been given.

18. charmin macrumors member

charmin

FF7 and FFX suck and FFX-2 is better than FFX?

You need to stop smoking that stuff.

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Since Square already develops very high quality assests (used in their FMV cutscenes) I'm not entirely sure it will really take them all that long to make something "next gen", especially since people only think of that in terms of graphics.

Once the game engine is working on the PS3, that is...

20. TrueChristian macrumors newbie

Wow there's a FFXIII on PS3? I'm sold. I heard FFXII is pretty darn good.

21. beachesandmusic macrumors newbie

FFX-2 beats FFX in a lot of ways.

MUCH better voice acting. Since the lips were resynced to English, the actors weren't forcing their lines out in a way to keep in sync with the original lip movements. Plus, Tidus is GONE.

No mandatory Blitzball game! Blitzball had a ton of potential, but Square ruined it.

No Sphere Grid! Worst idea in a FF game yet. This idea is just as bad as Metroid going FPS, or Mario getting a water pack and having to "clean" everything.

Much better battle system. It was fast and the ability to change jobs in battle combined with the combo system brought up all kinds of combo possibilities. Where FFX was basically hit, get hit, hit, get hit, repeat until something dies.

Did I mention that Tidus is gone? Worst character in an FF game yet. If they remake the game, they need to rewrite his character so he isn't so whiney. Tidus being gone is reason alone to like FFX-2 better than FFX.

Those are just a few of the reasons why FFX-2 is better than FFX.

FF7 doesn't suck. It's just not nearly as good as the fanboys make it out to be. The characters and story are too weak. It's good one time through, or if it's your first FF game. But for those of us who have played others before it, espicially FF6, it pales in comparison.

FF7 is good for those first timers, but not nearly as good as other games in the series. It's kind of like the Zelda: OoT of the series. It's good, but vastly overhyped and not as good as the others in the series. ;)

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I would respond... but my inner fanboyism would most certainly surface with great rage. o_O

Instead I will simply say that your opinion is vastly different from my own to the point where it sounds more like you are saying "The Sun is not Hot" ... o_O

:D

23. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Wonder if this is the same as when we first saw FFX cinemas and thought the in-game graphics where going to be that good. The only believable PS3 in-game graphics I have seen is a Devil May Cry screen shot. The textures where all amazing, but the modeling looked like crap. Oh well I'm sure this is more PS3 smoke and mirrors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh actually read the article. They anounced 2 FFXIII games at once?!?!

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If Sony remade FFVII and finished it as was initially intended, I would buy a PS3 just for that game and come out of gaming retirement. Seriously. :cool:

25. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It looks nice, that heroine is pretty hot too! :p ;)