final fantsy 7 mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

just wondering if there was a way i could play final fantasy 7 on my mac? I sold my ps2 and all my games and i have an itch to play this one. Was there a mac port? I know it was released on pc. any sugeestions? :confused:

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

FF7 is a PS1 game, I think. Connectix made a piece of s/w called Virtual Game Station, which emulated a PS on the Mac. You might be able to find a copy on eBay. I had it, and it worked pretty well on most games. MacAlly also had a device that allowed you to connect a PS controller to your ABD port, so you could get the full experience without buying a Playstation.

But, why aren't you playing Burnout 3?????

3. Barham macrumors regular

I'm playing through the "greatest" (I'll be deciding that when I finish) console RPG of all time on my powerbook. All you need is Flarestorm 2 and a few minutes to figure out the right levels for the plugins and you can play it as well. There are a few sound issues, but it's very playable. If it crashes at first, don't give up. Save frequently and keep tweaking the settings and eventually you'll find the sweet spot.

http://www.cronos.ne.jp/~y2510/software/flarestorm2-en.ahtml

-Hasta

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Final Fantasy VII (and VIII) were released for the PC, however they were never ported to Macs. The only way to play Final Fantasy VII on your Mac is to look into PlayStation One emulation (see link posted above).

6. amyhre macrumors member

I wonder if you can use the PC version through VPC. I don't think it would take too much system resources.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Final Fantasy VII did not require a 3D accelerator, although it was highly recommended. Virtual PC does not support graphics acceleration, so I'd imagine that performace would be pretty bad, but the game will at least open. Maybe it would be playable on Virtual PC 7 and a G5 computer, but I'm not sure. At least frame rate drops are acceptable in this style of game, but they would be annoying, plus that would ruin the experience of the movies.

The system specs for Final Fantasy VII are pretty low, but I remember having a hard time getting it to run well on a computer that exceeded the specs. Also, you may have a hard time running it unless you are using Windows 95. I think there might be some patches out there for XP, but I don't know how well they work.

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Yeah, VPC won't cut it. I tried out the *leaked* demo of VPC7 to gauge how it would run on my G5... unless they made some HUGE improvements... don't expect much.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

FF7 runs almost perfectly (sound stutters but graphics are fine) with VPC 6.1.1 on my 1.25 GHz G4, when running in OS 9. It's unplayable in OS X. I'll be getting VPC 7 soon, I'll let you know how well it runs.

10. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Nermal please do so I am quite curious. Thanks bud.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got VPC 7 today, and I'm sorry to say that FF7 runs much worse in 7 than it did in 6 :(

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

13. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk