Final Four Predictions

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Nov 10, 2004.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Okay, major men's college hoops kicks off this week, so of course it's time to start predicting the Final Four.

Here are my picks:

- Illinois I'm an alumni, and dammit this is the year. Too much talent, and I think Augustine's going to have a breakout year in the middle.

- Duke Why? Because they're always there, almost. They've lost some key players, but as always have a good recruiting class coming in, so they'll be strong. Coach K know how to get them there.

- Kentucky They're all ticked in bluegrass country about last year's second round loss to UAB. I think this year they'll pull together in the end.

- Kansas As much as I hate Bill Self for ditching Illinois, he's done a great job so far at Kansas and will have them ready for another title run.

I'd like to make the sentimental pick for Illinois to take home the crown, but I'm not sure it will happen. If they can avoid injuries this year, they'll be tough to beat, and they've got an fairly tough early schedule before getting into Big Ten action, which should prepare them for the tournament.

What about the rest of you - any picks? Will your team go all the way this year?

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I don't know about your picks, but duke won't be there this time, it is back to UNC-Chapel hill, my sheepskin issue.

Duke is having problems, might make sweet 16, but Roy and the boys from Carolina are in it this year. I would bet your money on it, cause I don't have any.. :p

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Kentucky - b/c they are my favorite team and they have the best coach in College Basketball (gets the most from his players) and they have the best recruiting class in CBB this year

Kansas - they are loaded and have a lot of seniors who have played in the Final Four already (and have championship game experience)

North Carolina - too much talent

Louisville - my sleeper team for the year

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

please... you're all sooooo wrong

MARYLAND acc champs last year- ncaa champs this year, you heard it here first

GEORGE WASHINGTON pops anyone? these guys can play... look em up on espn... (think gonzaga early days, but better)

UNC and i hate to admit this... but they're good... stupid roy

GEORGIA TECH hmm... all acc but one? yup- tech plays like a team

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

An all ACC final four would be most acceptable to me!

BTW i used to hate lefty, still lingers when I see maryland games.

I have flown sean mays dad, scott may, world champion NBA dad, he thinks unc may have something this year, but won't commit. Watch out for sean, he worked out all summer and is in top shape.

6. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

As a Big Ten guy, that would be my nightmare. The ACC-Big Ten Challenge is always a good fight, but it's time for the Big Ten to step up this year.

I think the BT will have 3 teams in the Sweet 16 - Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Illinois, but only Illinois will make it to the Final 4. They have the talent to match up with anyone in the country - Williams, Brown, Head in the front court, Augustine and Powell in the middle, and a bunch off the bench. Can't wait.

7. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Considering I'm from UMD, I would be more "cautiously" optimistic but I agree that they can make it to FF. JGil + underrated McCray are a really nice backcourt, but the key question is the frontcourt. TGar + Ikene seems to be the fit, but let's see what the next few exhibition/reg games show us.

Having a true backup point guard is really nice this year too.

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I'm afraid that it is not a good fight. The Big 10 one what, one game last year. And probably about the same the year before. The ACC has dominated the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

... you act like they're blowouts ... they are also very early in the season. Illini lost 88-81 last year ... it was a close game if i recall. ACC basketball has been good lately but the big ten is nothing to look down at anymore, there are like 3 SOLID basketball teams that have the potential to be as good as any ACC team, btw i think maryland is overrated 1000% .

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Mhrmm...well, like I said cautious optimism. Wisconsin is w/o Devin Harris this year, but no way would I say ACC-Big Ten is a blowout. MD vs. Wisconsin game was a OT game (I was there, it wuz nuts). I would give them a lot of respect, and heck, if i didn't go to UMD I'd probably be at UIUC.

12. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

After watching Illinois dismantle Wake Forest tonight, I've got to stick with my original projections. Duke is still looking good, and had a nice game over Mich St., Kentucky still has to prove themselves, but they'll get a shot against NC on Saturday. Kansas looks good despite the close call early.

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the big10 has not won a single one of the challanges as far as i know... correct me if i'm wrong... as for the maryland statement, i'll admit to having a large ammount of bias, they're my team- but you're definitely the only one i've heard say anything like this. if anything, i've heard most commentators agree that they'll finish the season in at least the top10

14. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, the Big Ten looks like the Big 2 and Other 8 in the Challenge. We'll be lucky to get 3 this year. The ACC is definitely a better overall conference, but I'm happy with my Illini.

As for Maryland (and WF for that matter), it's hard to judge a program poorly when they go to sites where teams are 39-0 in non-conference play or something like that. Wisconsin and Illinois are as tough as any home court in the country.

15. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Hah that's an understatement. What Iliinois did yesterday night, wow, I mean, if that's not FF/Champ material, I don't know what is.

On the otherhand, perhaps WF is not as FF/Champ material as they thought? Maybe they underestimated Illinois? I mean, I don't know. It was simply incredible to watch though, and I'm an ACC guy (but I was definitely cheering Illinois since it would SUCK for MD to be the only loser in the challenge).

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd like to agree with emw's Illini pick, but, sadly, I've started to follow them (I'm a "lapsed" Illinois alumni). Whenever I start to follow them, they collapse. Early in the season, late in the season, whatever. By this time next month, if things work out as they have in the past, they'll be losing to nursing-home teams in wheelchairs.

I was hoping to avoid hearing anything about them, just to let them win for once, but, sadly, my brother's email alerted me to the win, and now all is lost.

However, as a side note, I will, for really reasonable sums of money, root for teams you despise so as to cause them, too, to fail. It was a bit painful, but I made some good money rooting for the Yankees after game 3 this year. Sadly, family ties prevented me from rooting against the Cardinals, and therefore they lost. I was so hoping they'd win, they collapsed in four games.

Write me for prices and other arrangements.

17. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i have to say UK :D
    and if not them, GT would be nice... anyone but duke..
    that would be quite shocking if UofL(ouisville) made it that far... my dad would enjoy rubbing that in my face (alumni... :rolleyes: )

reality

18. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It was definitely nice to see the Big 10 once again lose the ACC - Big 10 Challenge. 6 wins for the ACC and 0 for the Big 10 (the most overhyped conference in CBB for the last decade).
    Illinois definitely is looking great so far. Perhaps someone besides Michigan State can actually be a title contender for the Big 10.

I'm still sticking with my Final 4 from above.

This weekends game b/t UK and UNC should be great....unfortunately I live in Indiana and CBS has picked up that game and the IU - UConn game.....so I will not get to watch the UK - UNC game. I can't wait for the day CBS loses NCAABB coverage.........they are especially awful come tournament time.

Go UK!

19. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Then do us all a favor and stop following them :eek: :D

20. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I'd have to disagree on the overhyped conference. I think that Michigan State has been overhyped for the past few years, but in general the Big Ten doesn't get tons of respect despite the fact that they generally do fairly well in the tournament. Sure, they've had a streak in the past few years where they haven't performed to expectations, but overall the conference has played well. The ACC is stepping up the past 5-10 years without a doubt, and I respect them for that, but every conference has ups and downs.

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have to jump in-I am a corp pilot and fly sean may's dad, scott may from time to time. I did so today after the indiana game last night, there was big press on sean ( a bloomington native-went to UNC), Dad was a bit upset with the locals, took the high road with the press, but couldn't believe how his son was hekeled (sp) last night.

GO HEELS!

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The Big 10 has only 1 championship since 1990 (15 years).....and that is Michigan State. 2 of their Final 4 teams (Michigan 1992, 1993 & Minnesota 1997) were later penalized for all kinds of recruiting violations. Yet until last year the Big 10 continually got 5,6,7 teams in the tournament.
    The SEC (3), ACC (5), Big East (3) & Pac 10 (2) all have more championships than that. 3 teams themselves have more championships than the entire Big 10 conference since then......Kentucky (2), UConn (2), Duke (3).
    The Big 10 has stuck with 80's style basketball for too long. It's nice to see that Illinois and Michigan St. are stepping out of that mold.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Speaking as a lifelong Twerps fan, I'm gonna go with Maryland for the Final Four. I am also, as much as it pains me to say this, going to say UNC will be there too. They look awesome this year. Beyond that, who cares? (as long as Duke gets tossed before the Sweet 16! Hate that whiney ass Coach K) Md over UNC in the title game, 87-83 (brackets permitting).YHIHF!

Yes, my basketball universe is pretty much the ACC vs. everyone else.

24. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I've lived in Bloomington IN for years. My wife is a huge IU fan. The fans for IU are not good. Especially when you look at schools such as Duke, UK, Illinois, Carolina, Kansas, etc. They have had pretty much nothing to cheer for in over a decade.....other than the championship game (fluke) against Maryland in 2002......but they ruined that night by rioting downtown and tearing up some stores right off of campus. Cops in riot gear had to use tear gas on them after that game (and IU did not win). A friend of mine and I watched and video taped that mess.
    One would think that they would be happy for a local guy (Sean May) to do well.....but that just goes to show you the true colors of IU fans (not all).

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have to go with the NC based teams then the rest of the ACC, although we feel the same about coach k. Now DEAN SMITH, there is the gold standard.

Maryland looks good this year, just could never get over Lefty D. I couldn't stand him, that has always tainted my image of the Fighting Terps!

Anyway, I'm excited for my Heels to have a shot this year. Especially after the Panthers {NFL} have fallen apart (but some new hope-maybe).