Final touches for ex-internal HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by briantology, Sep 11, 2006.

1. briantology macrumors 6502

Alright, I know there have been tons of threads about external HDDs and such. I searched them and found a little help. But now I need to bring it down to the final choice. I basically need to backup my current HD because I'm getting a different computer (mac pro to iMac or MBP, I know, I'm crazy). I will also use it to save capture scratch from Final Cut. But anyways, I plan on an external HD about 150-250GB. I've heard different stories on how each brand performs, but it seems that Seagate gets recommended the most. So I thought about getting an internal Seagate HD and putting it in a case. I'm looking to spend $150 or less. So if anyone recommends any combo of internal HD and/or case (or pre-made if possible), I would appreciate it. BTW, are the OWCs any good? They sure look pretty...

2. Gosh macrumors 6502

Seagate do have a good reliability record according to buyer reviews.

I guess connection type is important too - so Firewire 400?

If you pay a little more for a complete product like Seagate Firewire 200GB I think you would be quite happy!

http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/external/usbfirewire/

3. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

Well this one seems to be the best deal. But on newegg some people seem to have had bad experiences. But I guess that's just typical with anything electronic...