FinalCut Ex or Pro to create jpg from video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bsddsc, Jul 25, 2006.

1. bsddsc macrumors newbie

Has anyone used Final Cut Express or Pro to create still photos/jpg files? After reading the Apple comparison, I can't really tell if either one will do it. And we would prefer to use Express because it costs quite a bit less.

Also, we would only need to create the jpgs if there was some sort of digit photo problem. Which is why I'm looking now, one of our guys somehow lost some photos. We have video and want the best possible quality jpg we can get out it.

Thanks,

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can do it in iMovie but the quality is never going to be great since you're limited to the resolution of your video which isn't as high as a bespoke camera.

3. tk421 macrumors 6502a

The best quality you can get for standard video is 720 by 486, though if it was shot with a DV camera it will be 720 by 480. That's about 1/3 of a megapixel.

I guess if you shot HD, it could be okay. Possibly as high as two megapixels.

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

yup...quality will 720 x 480...it's 'ok' to show people, but not at all great for printing.

both programs will do the same thing. make sure you run a de-interlace filter on the jpg before export. video is 2 layers so using the de-I will strip it down to 1 and make the best file you can get (still not great though :(

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Why and what are you using these JPG's for? I usually just do a screen shot of the picture and than use it for whaterver, usually part of the DVD cover, things like that if I need a still pic...