Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone seen this yet? It's great! Finally a mouse for the people who love the look and feel of the apple pro mice but hate the 1 button non scrollable aspect of it.

Attachments

• mouse_240_1.jpg
    mouse_240_1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 9,358

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Pretty damn cool - but why doesn't Apple make one?

Still don't understand that - I have my old one button mouse in a drawer somewhere.... :(

D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Pretty damn cool - but why doesn't Apple make one?

Still don't understand that - I have my old one button mouse in a drawer somewhere.... :(

D

I agree. I have the Wacom Graphire II tablet. It is not the best IMHO for the mouse. But I love the center scroll wheel that allows me to click in a new tab in Safari. i also like the ability to right click without having to use the keyboard and mouse.

What is taking Apple so long?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
why apple doesn't make one is a question i don't know we'll ever know the answer to. :sigh: someday... someday...

till then, i'll stick with my logitech MX300

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I actually just bought one, and it is great. I even did my own little review of it. You can read it here. I actually started a thread on this over in the General Apple Discussion, but it probably would have been more logical to post it here. Oops. :rolleyes:

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
michaelrjohnson said:
why apple doesn't make one is a question i don't know we'll ever know the answer to. :sigh: someday... someday...

Simplicity. It can be confusing to a newbie if the mouse has 3 buttons. With one button, there is no question. And it is not like the engineers at Apple have been scratching there heads trying to make a multibutton mouse. They could have made one years ago. As long as Steve Jobs is running Apple you will never see mouse with more than one button.

timsq

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
New Orleans
Why Apple doesn't make 3 button mice...

We all agree that better mouse function leads to a better experience. If Apple made a killer 3 button mouse - they would piss off a lot of mouse manufacturers. I think Apple plays the 'keep it simple' card to a fault. The answer is obvious because Apple enjoys the ample support they receive from many producers of compatible hardware, therefore Apple can concentrate efforts on what they do best. I happen to believe in them so blindly that I am a stockholder. Rock!

- 3-button MacMouseLTD (bluetooth when available)

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
dukemeiser said:
Simplicity. It can be confusing to a newbie if the mouse has 3 buttons. With one button, there is no question. And it is not like the engineers at Apple have been scratching there heads trying to make a multibutton mouse. They could have made one years ago. As long as Steve Jobs is running Apple you will never see mouse with more than one button.

Thats lame. And i don't think it has anything to do with newbies. I dont think any newbie ever looks at a two button mouse and doesnt know what to do. 1 button and no scroll wheel is just less productive, end of story.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
Scroll wheels are ergonomically terrible for your fingers. Hat switches can perform the same function and do not result in RSI from continuously twitching one finger in a cramped motion.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
markjones05 said:
Thats lame. And i don't think it has anything to do with newbies. I dont think any newbie ever looks at a two button mouse and doesnt know what to do. 1 button and no scroll wheel is just less productive, end of story.

It may be lame to expert Mac users like us, but you surely know some people that barely know how to turn on a computer? My girlfriend's parents would have no idea what to do with another button on the mouse and would never use it. You seem to have forgotten what it is like to be completely new to computers. And newbies could be kindergardeners, not adults.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I took my apple pro mouse and put it on the PC that my kids use. My oldest boy is 4, and a standard 2 button was just too difficult for him to use. He was always clicking both buttons causeing the context menus to popup and get selected all in one shot.

OTOH, he uses the iBook like a Pro. He'll sit on the couch browsing PlayhouseDisney.com for an hour. ONE BUTTON.

So yeah Apple has it right. Ease of use = 1 button mouse and a GUI that supports it. If you want two buttons get a different mouse.

And on the subject of this mouse, I've seen it in the CompUSA store, and it doesn't really feel at all like the pro mouse. With the wheel popping out and the cut in the plastic it's not nearly as elegant either, but they did the best they could I guess.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
dukemeiser said:
It may be lame to expert Mac users like us, but you surely know some people that barely know how to turn on a computer? My girlfriend's parents would have no idea what to do with another button on the mouse and would never use it. You seem to have forgotten what it is like to be completely new to computers. And newbies could be kindergardeners, not adults.

No it's not that i have forgotten what it was like to to be new to computers, it's the fact that i learned on a two button mouse. How hard is the concept of one button does this, and one button does that? Surely even beginners can figure that out. The 2 button mouse is by far the easiest tool to learn about on a computer. I never had a computer when i was 4 as in slowtremes situation. I was about 7 when we got our first computer and about 10 when we got our first mouse and i cant remember ever being perplexed by the concept of two buttons.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Santiago said:
Scroll wheels are ergonomically terrible for your fingers. Hat switches can perform the same function and do not result in RSI from continuously twitching one finger in a cramped motion.

What's a hat switch?

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
markjones05 said:

I love how people on these forums think that the only people who use computers are power users.

If I had a penny for every complaint I've heard about the mouse, the iMac, how they should be this or should be that, without realizing that Apple makes a variety of products and some aren't aimed at those of us who know what we are doing and push our computers to the limits.

When it comes to the mouse, there are plenty of great third party mice and trackballs, in such a variety of styles and configurations. Its not like a keyboard where layout is set. A mouse can have any number of buttons and wheels, wireless or wired, trackball or optical. The choices are almost limitless. But rather than waste time, resources, and money on making one and including it with all macs, they instead include a mouse that lets you do everything you need to and if you want to, buy a new mouse that does exactly what you want it too.

The Mac comes with a mouse designed for everyone to be able to use, it was in fact intended that a person could simply watch someone else use a computer with minimal effort. Yes its possible to learn a computer using a multi button mouse. Its also possible to learn to drive a stick shift car. And if you know what you are doing it can be worth it, but for most people the mouse or the automatic transmission are perfectly fine for their needs.

You can get the mouse you want, so stop trying to force everyone else to live up to your higher requirements, buy the better mouse and let Apple focus their resources on making better computers. No need to reinvent the mouse.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
A good solution...

A good solution would be for Apple to offer both a single mouse and 2 button mouse + scroll wheel. You could obviously choose which mouse you get when you order...

I use a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel, but very rarely use the right button (I usually use the keyboard shortcuts). Though the scroll wheel is good, the keuboard arrows are just as good for stuff like browsing the web. But I like to have the choice.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Krizoitz said:
I love how people on these forums think that the only people who use computers are power users.

If I had a penny for every complaint I've heard about the mouse, the iMac, how they should be this or should be that, without realizing that Apple makes a variety of products and some aren't aimed at those of us who know what we are doing and push our computers to the limits.

When it comes to the mouse, there are plenty of great third party mice and trackballs, in such a variety of styles and configurations. Its not like a keyboard where layout is set. A mouse can have any number of buttons and wheels, wireless or wired, trackball or optical. The choices are almost limitless. But rather than waste time, resources, and money on making one and including it with all macs, they instead include a mouse that lets you do everything you need to and if you want to, buy a new mouse that does exactly what you want it too.

The Mac comes with a mouse designed for everyone to be able to use, it was in fact intended that a person could simply watch someone else use a computer with minimal effort. Yes its possible to learn a computer using a multi button mouse. Its also possible to learn to drive a stick shift car. And if you know what you are doing it can be worth it, but for most people the mouse or the automatic transmission are perfectly fine for their needs.

You can get the mouse you want, so stop trying to force everyone else to live up to your higher requirements, buy the better mouse and let Apple focus their resources on making better computers. No need to reinvent the mouse.

LOL! First of all I hardly think that using 2 buttons instead of one considers anybody a "power user". Second, your comparison between learning to drive stick and learning to use a second button on a mouse is slightly rediculous. Third of all I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, so chill the **** out. And lastly I still don't know why Apple doesnt offer a 2 button mouse. After all they make some of the most professional power computers in the world, so why wouldnt they cater to that fact just as much as they cater to the beginner machines? I really like the look and feel of the single button mouse but it slows me down. Sure, I can get another mouse and I have, the point is; I would like it if Apple made another mouse and I think alot of others agree with me. Thats my opinion and if you don't like it you can beat it.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
whocares said:
A good solution would be for Apple to offer both a single mouse and 2 button mouse + scroll wheel. You could obviously choose which mouse you get when you order...

But....that could put a lot of small companies out of business. I doubt if MacMice would sell The Mouse anymore if Apple did that. If Apple offered a two button/scroll wheeled mouse, how many Mac users would buy third party? I certainly wouldn't have.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
markjones05 said:
LOL! First of all I hardly think that using 2 buttons instead of one considers anybody a "power user". Second, your comparison between learning to drive stick and learning to use a second button on a mouse is slightly rediculous. Third of all I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, so chill the **** out. And lastly I still don't know why Apple doesnt offer a 2 button mouse. After all they make some of the most professional power computers in the world, so why wouldnt they cater to that fact just as much as they cater to the beginner machines? I really like the look and feel of the single button mouse but it slows me down. Sure, I can get another mouse and I have, the point is; I would like it if Apple made another mouse and I think alot of others agree with me. Thats my opinion and if you don't like it you can beat it.

Apple doesn't offer a two button mouse because they have no need to. There are plenty out there who offer them to people who want one, and as I have said with a better variety of choices. Its the same reason Apple no longer sells printers, they have no need to when others can do it better. As for the pro-user argument you just used, those are exactly the people who do go out and buy their own mice.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Krizoitz said:
Apple doesn't offer a two button mouse because they have no need to. There are plenty out there who offer them to people who want one, and as I have said with a better variety of choices. Its the same reason Apple no longer sells printers, they have no need to when others can do it better. As for the pro-user argument you just used, those are exactly the people who do go out and buy their own mice.

I don't understand your as well as dukemeisers logic. Why would Apple want you to go somewhere ele? Dukemeiser do you work fo rone of the third party mice selling companies? If not, why do you care? Krizoitz, why do you think that other companies can make a better mouse than Apple? What do you mean they have no need to? Don't you think people would buy them? I know I would and so would Dukemeiser. I'm sure if they made them alot of people would buy them. How do you come to the conclusion that they don't need to. I don't think it is essential for them to make one but i would sure like it if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.