Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cflem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
Now I can edit down from iMovie and actually put it somewhere. FINALLY.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I too use iMovie, and the new Home Movies section will be 10x better then iTunes 10. If only it worked on PowerPC and not just our MBP...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I was super excited at first. "Finally, I don't have to list them as TV shows!"

But then I've tried it and it seems they just get put in one huge pile with no way to divide them up at all. It's just one big mess.

So, it's nice that they thought of it, but I think I'll go back to having them as TV shows with the year as the 'season.' As far as I can tell, the new 'Home Movies' section has no way at all to organize them in any way approaching that.

Anyone know if I'm wrong? I can't find anything.

EDIT: I can still make a smart playlist and make a folder for home movies per year and that works, BUT, there's a button for 'Playlists' under the 'Music' section but NOT the 'Movies' section.

So that works but I have to remember to go to 'Music' to watch home movies? This is what I'm talking about when I say the program is still awfully confusing for something that was so heavily re-designed to be simpler.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Add the date to movie title?

They already are that way. So they're in order, I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaining that I have to scroll forever and ever rather than have a way to narrow it down like I could when they were TV shows.

All I'm saying is, this isn't bad, but listing them as 'TV Shows' is better, so what incentive does anyone have to use this new feature? They added something that isn't as good as something else they already have.

Scottuary

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
I was also excited when I saw the Home Movie "Media Kind", but yeah, I agree, there is no way to clump them together like when you label them as a season in TV show.

I want "2012 San Francisco Trip" videos to be clumped in one "event". I don't want the 30 videos from that trip just pilled into the Home Video section. Labelling them as TV Shows lets you do this.

Blah. I was excited for like 5 minutes until I played around with it and realized it's just a dumping ground for that Media Kind.

If anyone figures out a way to group them, let me know. I can't figure it out as it stands right now.

Keyhole

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Unfortunately any movie you drop into iTunes now moves to "Home Movies". Which wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't take 5 minutes to load every time I made a change to a movie file via Command-I. Adding artwork used to be the only action that made iTunes hang like that, now merely changing a movie from "home movie" to "movie" hangs for 5 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.