Finally a program that allows the remote to do more!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by simmonstwin, Jun 9, 2006.

1. simmonstwin macrumors member

Ever since i got my intel mini , I have been on a search to find a program that allowed me to use the remote with VLC. Well today I found that program (the beta version anyway) http://caseapps.com/sofacontrol.html :) . I am sure many of u are out there looking for the same thing. The only problem is that this thing is gonna cost $9.99 in a couple of days... crap :( . People dont do things for free anymore, oh well, maybe a free version will comeout sometime soon.

2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

3. joebells macrumors 6502

Seems like an ok idea, I wish apple would of made the remote bluetooth though.

4. simmonstwin thread starter macrumors member

I looked at the other programs and they all want money, :rolleyes: .

5. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Geeze! People expecting compensation for their work!

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah, the nerve! And the price is so high! I'll have to save up for, oh I don't know how long, perhaps a whole 15 minutes to be able to afford those $9.99.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

There is also a lot your remote can do without additional software. From http://gnuhaus.com/iblog/archives/000200.html

Click any button on the remote to wake your Mac from Sleep
    Control the volume of your Mac with the +/- buttons
    Control your QuickTime Movies, including Play, Pause, Fast Forward, Rewind, and Skip to the Beginning; Pause the movie and click the Next button to step through the movie frame by frame
    Control DVD playback
    Use the Next and Previous buttons to control slides in Keynote
    Use the Next and Previous buttons to move between songs in iTunes; Play and Pause songs with the Play button
    Next and Previous buttons move you through the Source pane in iPhoto.
    Click the Play button to start a slide show using that source; click again to pause the slide show, and the Next and Previous buttons will move to the next or previous slide; Click the Menu button to exit the slide show
    Click and hold the Play button and a “snoring” image of the remote will appear on screen. Continue holding the Play button and your Mac will go to sleep

8. simmonstwin thread starter macrumors member

That stuff adds up, like for instant i use an ebay widget that now cost money and a News widget that cost. With Windows you had basically had a million options, but with apple you are limited. So as a result everyone feels like that cant money off of use. I mean come a widget that cost $15.00!!! thats ridiculous.

9. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Don't buy or use it then. That's what I do. There's lots of shareware I think is overpriced, so I don't support it. I support the stuff I feel is worth it.

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's not ridiculous at all if it's hard to make and useful. If it's easy to make, someone else will make something cheaper or something free.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

If you think $15.00 is to much for software that is tested and proven then you should write your own. Although, if you cannot write you own widget, test it, and correct all the bugs in it then then don't complain about the $15.00. A lot more man hours go into testing software than you know, even small pieces of code you still have test if it going to production. Even if it is tested there are still bugs in software.