Finally bought an ibook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AJ795, Feb 26, 2005.

1. AJ795 macrumors member

Hi All!

Just wanted to share the fact that I've bought my first apple!!!

But I have a slight problem that I would appreciate some help with.

We've just got our a brand new ibook. Up until now I had been using a PC desktop, and using NTL broadband as my internet supplier (I'm in the UK). Being a few years old my PC doesn't have an ethernet card and so I was using the cable down the USB link.

With my ibook I also purchased an airport express station so that I could go wireless. My question is this:

How can I keep my PC connected to the broadband (via USB) as well as connect the broadband to airport (which I've done using the supplied ethernet cable)???

I can get both working separately but if one is connected and using the cable modem the other one isn't allowed to. Is there any simple way around this so that I can run both at the same time??? And if so, can I do it with the hardware I've got or will I need to buy some other stuff?

Many thanks,

AJ

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

What you can do is connect your modem to the AE through ethernet. Then either buy a wireless card or get a USB 802.11 adapter. You can find that adapter at most stores.

3. AJ795 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinkning of that...but does that mean that the internet speed on the PC will be much slower (i.e. the maximum speed supported by AE as opposed to the speed that comes directly from the cable modem)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again,

AJ

4. emoore3 macrumors newbie

The maximum speed of the AE is much higher than the max of a cable modem. I don't think you will notice a difference.

5. AJ795 thread starter macrumors member

6. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502