Finally built my Vista DVD...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by princealfie, Jun 9, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Okay I don't have an Intel mac yet but I do have a working Vista DVD disc. I'm excited to install this shebang on my Thinkpad at home and it's a PIII so we will see what it brings up.

And I'm not particularly excited. And why must the beta expire next July? Huh... sketchy, self-erasing OS? Yuck.

Okay, now it's time to see what the hype is all about. :eek:

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because Microsoft aren't in the habit of giving away free copies of Vista :rolleyes:

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yup, sketchy just like Apple and the self-terminating Boot Camp beta...

:rolleyes:

4. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep, it will automatically sense the coming of Leopard and then explode your harddrive into a fountain of flames....

Or maybe not... No bootcamp wont officially expire until Leopard, but it will still run. Much like how 10.2 still runs but is no longer supported.

Now Vista does expire in July 2007, it's officially programmed into it, so expect time warnings etc.. However somebody between now and then will no doubyt work out a patch to remove this constraint.

6. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nice where do i get a patch for the time thing in vista?

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You wait until one is available, possibly released in a few months in a torrent.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's important to understand this about what BootCamp is... when you use it to install XP on a Mac, you do the firmware update and you get the bootloader... BootCamp just makes a driver disc for you. The bootloader is a firmware thing -- it is NOT going and checking the clock and so on... I just seriously doubt they'd waste firmware room with that stuff.... But once you've got XP on your computer, it's staying there till you delete it, and Bootcamp isn't really doing anything for you anymore. So BootCamp will expire in the sense that the "separate" program might go away. But nothing will happen to the instance on your computer.

9. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Or you could just purchase it when it becomes available.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Psssh, they'll just extend the beta when they fail to release it by next July! :eek:

Mmmm, I still don't quite understand this whole Bootcamp and Site-License install disc issue that people have mentioned. But I guess that, with Vista, that might not really matter.... I am very slowly but surely getting tempted by the idea of a Macbook that runs Vista and Leopard in my budget for next year. :)