Finally decided

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by galstaph, Aug 31, 2005.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Well, I finally decided on getting a new 1.33 12" ibook (I played with one in the store (london drugs) and it was nice, sales staff couldn't even help me, I know more then them, one of them even told a potential mac mini customer that the minis didn't support vga :eek: ). I'm ordering direct from apple, (I save something like 60$ over my campus store doing this). In light of saving cash I am thinking of upgrading to a 60 (63$) or 80 (125$) gig hd. I just want to know what the consensus is on hd space in these babies, get the bigger or go with stock?

I'm also picking up a 4gb ipod, can't beat a 225 dollar rebate...

2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Congrats on your Purchase! I'm sure you'll love the iBook.

Why not Order the Stock Model, and then buy an external HD?

3. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea i'd go with the stock and get an extternal HD cuase you can get them in a lot larger sizes

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends on how much you are on the go, if it is a lot, get a good size internal. i have a 60, after it failed in my powerbook i put in a 40 gig because i have an external, but i find it lacking for my needs personally

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Definitely get the HD upgrade. Having an external sort of defeats the purpose of a laptop. I have a 60 GB drive in my PowerBook, and a 60 GB external. I wish I had a bigger internal drive, because I use my PowerBook away from home all the time.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I say go and up the internal HDD to 60GB+.

Congrats on your new purchase btw.

7. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

You'll get a stock config faster, and easier to deal with exchanges at store.

That's what I did. I'll be getting LaCie externals (500GB to start). You'll never have enough internal space even with an 80GB. I'll be dumping all video and stuff to external, and just use internal for what I need on the go.

8. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I won't be buying from the apple store the nearest one to me is about 14 hours away in seattle, (we seriously need more canadian apple stores... like here in calgary ;) ). But thanks for the idea, a stocker would be sent to apple for exchange just like the bto (I don't think any of the mac stores here really handle the exchanges). I'm thinking I can do with 60 after consideration and talking to my bro who has a 15" pb (also 60 gig, and lots of room, unless he's doing video editing, then it gets to around 20 gb free). Just as another question, what brands of memory are the best to put into the apple, I think I will buy a 1 gb stick comming up but I want really good quality. I know apple uses samsung, I know I can get it from the us but I'd prefer something a little closer to home without international shipping, duty, exchange, etc. Anyone know who in Canada sells samsung? or what brands are preferred?
    Thanks for your help

9. newmaccanada macrumors member

I have a relatively new ibook and got a 1 G ram from CanadaRam. This was a very good experience. They guaratee compatibility and have a good warranty. I went with a Certified chip for $245. Installed it and it works fine.

10. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Check out www.dvshop.ca. They got me my computer and ram and it was a great deal.

11. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Agree, if 40GB isn't enough for you... 80GB isn't likely going to be enough for you either, especially down the road. You'd probably be much better off going with the stock config and then buying or putting together an external hdd.

12. galstaph thread starter macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Ahh, Today was nice, I got a call this morning from apple checking up on if I was ready to place my order (I'm just waiting for the money to come in next week). This made me feel special, microsoft never called me (i'd be scared if they did). It's nice to see apple reaching out to customers.
    (or did they just want my money??)