Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
My 6s had recently started to eat through its battery by 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and sometimes by noon. All would be fine, but then with all apps closed, the phone would periodically heat up and the battery level would drop like a rock.

Looking at the battery usage on the phone, it turns out Safari was using 82% of my battery during the day. However I never use Safari, I use Chrome. After some digging around, I found that the culprit is Safari syncing under iCloud. I turned that off, and my battery is now 30% to 40% when I go to bed.

Of course, this means that your Safari won't sync across devices, but I never found that to be super useful anyway. And, by the way, I now use Chrome across all my devices (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone) and it works just fine compared to Safari.

But why did this just start now? I have had the phone for months, and this has not been an issue. Perhaps it coincided with my switch to Chrome, but I'm not sure. Is it possible that if you do not open Safari regularly, the sync happens exclusively in the background and that process is more of a battery hog?

Last edited:
Reactions: baypharm

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
How do you turn off this feature because I'm also experiencing a lot of battery drain on my 6s.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
I always have Safari turned on on all my devices, never drained too much battery.

I know it worked for you, but I think there may be an issue with your battery. I also have a 6S that has a bad battery.

Reactions: silverblack

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
My 6s had recently started to eat through its battery by 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and sometimes by noon. All would be fine, but then with all apps closed, the phone would periodically heat up and the battery level would drop like a rock.

Looking at the battery usage on the phone, it turns out Safari was using 82% of my battery during the day. However I never use Safari, I use Chrome. After some digging around, I found that the culprit is Safari syncing under iCloud. I turned that off, and my battery is now 30% to 40% when I go to bed.

Of course, this means that your Safari won't sync across devices, but I never found that to be super useful anyway. And, by the way, I now use Chrome across all my devices (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone) and it works just fine compared to Safari.

But why did this just start now? I have had the phone for months, and this has not been an issue. Perhaps it coincided with my switch to Chrome, but I'm not sure. Is it possible that if you do not open Safari regularly, the sync happens exclusively in the background and that process is more of a battery hog?

How do you turn off this feature because I'm also experiencing a lot of battery drain on my 6s.

I always have Safari turned on on all my devices, never drained too much battery.

I know it worked for you, but I think there may be an issue with your battery. I also have a 6S that has a bad battery.

Guys I know that there are multiple threads about "Battery Life" however, "we" are all using a 6s and not 6s plus from what I see. Could you please share your battery usage with screenshots just to compare how your phones are holding up? Because I am either not really amazed by my battery life on my 6s.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
Guys I know that there are multiple threads about "Battery Life" however, "we" are all using a 6s and not 6s plus from what I see. Could you please share your battery usage with screenshots just to compare how your phones are holding up? Because I am either not really amazed by my battery life on my 6s.

cc5e86b15a42a5c5630f56971ccda16c.jpg

Here you go. Be noted that I'm jailbroken, and this phones battery has degraded a bit.

Reactions: Vanilla35

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
cc5e86b15a42a5c5630f56971ccda16c.jpg

Here you go. Be noted that I'm jailbroken, and this phones battery has degraded a bit.

Thank you very much!! Until now it looks good in my opinion. And I think that the best is when you post ur battery usage later on in the day, like under 50% or around 30% and under. Like this it is better to keep a track of it :)

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I'm going to give the technique suggested by the OP a shot, today, and see if I notice any difference. I have a 6S and I don't even turn it on until at least 1:00 or 2:00pm during the week - I have it shut off during most of the day at work - and when I do turn it on, after some moderate use, my battery is usually down to circa 40% after about 6 or 7 hours.

Of course, I do have a Mophie, so I'll be fine regardless, but I'm going to give the technique a shot for today and see if I notice any difference with otherwise normal use.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm going to give the technique suggested by the OP a shot, today, and see if I notice any difference. I have a 6S and I don't even turn it on until at least 1:00 or 2:00pm during the week - I have it shut off during most of the day at work - and when I do turn it on, after some moderate use, my battery is usually down to circa 40% after about 6 or 7 hours.

Of course, I do have a Mophie, so I'll be fine regardless, but I'm going to give the technique a shot for today and see if I notice any difference with otherwise normal use.

How'd it go?

I'm trying it too but I just did it so I won't know anything till tomorrow.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have no problems with battery drain and keeping Safari turned on in iCloud. I have had that enabled for years now and it has never negatively impacted my battery life. I still get 9+ hours of usage on my 6s and 20+ hours on my Air 2. As someone that only uses Safari across all my macOS/iOS devices, turning this off would remove bookmark syncing, iCloud tabs and auto-saved password syncing.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How'd it go?

I'm trying it too but I just did it so I won't know anything till tomorrow.

image.png

I can tell it's not the culprit for me. I'll still get 5-6 hours of usage with Safari iCloud sync turned off.

Still trying to get back to that 10+ hours I had when I was iOS 9.1.

Oh well worth a shot.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
View attachment 638341

I can tell it's not the culprit for me. I'll still get 5-6 hours of usage with Safari iCloud sync turned off.

Still trying to get back to that 10+ hours I had when I was iOS 9.1.

Oh well worth a shot.

Oh wow 10+ on a 6s?? That is quite impressive.. I wish i had at least 8 hours. But 6 is all i can get i guess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.