Finally getting a DS Lite, may as well a game or two, recomendations?

Discussion in 'Games' started by cartoonfox, Aug 10, 2006.

1. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hey,
    I got a DS a week after Japanese release, I imported it from Play-Asia, I couldn't help myself : ]
    Anyway, I've been super poor latley but I landed an illustration job (I'm an illustration student) and so now I have money to buy me a DS Lite.
    I want to buy a game or two with it. I'm thinking of getting NSMB and maybe Brain Training. But I also want Bust-a-Move and Metroid (still haven't got it!)

I haven't played my DS much latley so I'm kinda out of the loop a bit, are there any hidden gems that you'd recomend I get?

Just so you don't suggest a game I already have, here is my list.
    Mario 64 DS
    Meteos
    Animal Crossing
    Tony hawks Sk8land
    Mario Kart DS

I love puzzle games (hence Bust-a-Move) so maybe Tetris? Is it any good?
    As a side note, I'm really keen on getting some of those "Bit generation" games for GBA. Sucks I have to import though, maybe I could get me a GameBoy Micro at the same time!

Peace

2. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

Apparently Tetris DS is like the coolest game ever. I ordered my DS lite sometime last week so I'm a little anxious to get it now. I also ordered Super Mario 64 DS, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time (because superstar saga for gba is totally awesome), AC:WW, and Tetris DS.

I'm looking forward to the wifi aspect of tetris and AC. I love AC on the gcube.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

New Super Mario Brothersm, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Tertis DS would make a good start

4. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hey thanks for the link, lot's of good suggestions.
    I'm thinking Bust-a-Move DS, Puyo Pop Fever, Brain Training and New Super Mario Bros. That should keep me busy : ]
    Damn but I still need to get Tetris and Metroid... I'm so behind, too many games!

Peace

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

DSDOOM! Very very good game. Of course, you'll need homebrew gear to run it, but it's still a great game

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

noooooo, no music makes me cry :( like Duke 3D PSP. Best parts about Doom and Duke are the awesome soundtracks.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I got Bust-a-Move from Costco and I'm not all that impressed. I feel like the screen or something isn't well calibrated (yes, I did go into the DS options and re-calibrate the stylus and all that) so that I get inconsistent results in the game. *shrug*

Brain Age/Training isn't all that fun for me, no big deal since I got the game for free.

NSMB is pretty simple, I am horrible at most video games but am able to make it through some levels. :p It's just a lot of fun to see the old game reinvented. :D

For me, the only game I really really enjoy so far is Animal Crossing Wild World. And that's the one game I was least looking forward to when I bought them. :eek: I just thought the whole concept was lame, but I really got sucked in. :D

8. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

check out some of the tetris DS videos on youtube. Just type in "tetris ds wifi."

It's pretty cool stuff.

9. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Oh, that doesn't sound too good about Bust-a-Move... IGN had good things to say about it, controller too. Can you use the d-pad instead?
    I want to get Brain Training for those quick 10 minute tube journey's : ]

I have animal crossing, also had the Gamecube version, I just couldn't commit to playing every day, and after a while I got a bit bored of it : [
    Enjoyed it while it lasted though.

As for homebrew, my friend makes homebrew DS games, but he said I need some sort of special SD card to play them? I have no idea about this stuff... at all. Any websites (and is it legal)?

Peace

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Advance Wars is great although I don't like that they tried to 3D up the maps a little bit. I think the old 2D style is cleaner and sharper and more appropriate for this type of game, a pity they don't give you the option as to which way it's rendered. The games I'm looking forward to are Elite Beat Agents and Panzer Tactics, but they aren't out yet. I'd like a Final Fantasy tactics or other strategy-type game for the DS. Other puzzle/board-type games I'd like to see are Boggle and a really good version of Shanghai/Mahjongg -- the DS format with the stylus would be perfect for these games.

Overall, I'm not all that impressed with the selection of games for the DS considering it has been out for well over a year. There are a few good ones, but most of them don't have that addictive quality for me that separates a great game from a good one. It looks like there are some good ones in the works though, and with the amazing amount of the things that Nintendo has been selling, that can only mean more games, a better selection, and more games in alternate genres that might not get made with a small base of consoles sold.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Perfectly legal. See the homebrew thread.

I'd recommend a M3 Perfect SD Slim.

http://m3adapter.com/

Pardon the Engrish.

12. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I've said this in a few forums now but my favorites are: MKDS (I know you already have it), Phoenix Wright & Trauma Center.

Also, the upcoming titles Mario Hoops, Final Fantasy III, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Yoshi's Island 2, and The Settlers look like they will be great games. For me, the jury is still out on the new Star Fox and Mega Man games. They aren't exactly getting glowing reviews. If you like Castlevania games then Dawn of Sorrow and the new one coming out soon are supposed to be some of the best ones ever but I haven't played them yet so I can't give a personal recommendation. Other titles that may be worth looking at are Lost Magic, Trace Memory, and that Hotel Dusk game that is coming out.

Advance Wars is good but I prefer RPG Turn-Based Strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Force. People who like pure strategy more love it though.

Metroid is great but I think it has a steep learning curve. I still can't consistently win online and I have had it a couple of months now.

The Soduko on Brain Age alone is worth the game. Overall it is a nice time killer that is easy to put down.

Tetris is fun but it is my least favorite game just because it seems like the same old stuff just with a few extra modes.

If you have never played Mario 3 or World I think that they are better games than NSMB for a lower price (at least used) on GBA.

Come to think of it, the Mario Advance, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Street Fighter, and Shining Force games are all great on GBA carts. It is just amazing that you will soon be able to play Final Fantasy I through VI on GBA or DS.

I don't really do homebrew because most of my favorite classic games I can get used for GBA and i'm not really interested in indie stuff. The only games that I would even want to play on my DS that aren't currently available on carts are Zelda OoT and MM or PSX stuff like MGS or FFVII. (If that is even possible) If you just want to play music and movies I have read that the Nintendo Play-Yan offers better quality playback.

13. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Is Tetris touch-controled, or do you use the D-pad?

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

D-pad, though there is a touch puzzle mode.

15. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Ugh, I went to GAME today to buy me a DS Lite and Tetris, and my card was declined! : [
    I can't sort it out till Monday, stupid banks.

Oh well

16. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Please get trauma center. That game is one great game people should atlease play. However its content is very bloody and is very hard at the end. Look up youtube for game play videos.

17. Kong macrumors newbie

WarioWare Touched! is highly recommended. It's a series of quick 5 second games that take complete advantage of the DS touch screen/dual screen/microphone set up. A total blast.

I've been using Brain Age for a couple of weeks ("playing" doesn't seem like the right word) and I like it, if only that it's improved my rusty multiplication skills. Really, like ddrueckhammer said, mostly it is about the sudoku for me.

Way more fun than Brain Age is Big Brain Academy - it goes for a similar goal of sharpening your mental skills but the game play is far more fun.

Super Mario is great - and Mario Kart is a good racing game - you can play online with your DS and get your ass kicked by a Japanese kid.

18. pcortez macrumors member

dont forget about the GBA games.

Legend of Zelda: the minish cap
    super mario advance 4: super mario bros. 3

classic!

19. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

Cool. So far I really enjoy my DS Lite.

Starter games that I like are:

Brain Age
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario 64 DS

Good Luck!

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is your local GAME still running the £109 DS Lite deal with Tetris? Ours stopped that, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend who's after one.

21. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Nah they have the £109 deal but it's with crapy games like cars and stormbraker : [
    I just opted to pay full price. There is a buy one get one half price deal, where I can get Puyo Pop Fever and Bust-aMove so I'll be doing that soon. : ]

Peace

22. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

23. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Another vote for Tetris DS and New Supe Mario Bros. Tetris online is loads of fun, however getting a 4 player game started can take FOREVER!