finally going for the 1st mac... need advice or answers on the purchase directly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by takao, Jan 12, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    finally ... i'm going to pull the trigger (in two weeks.. have first to check out the resolutions of the screen)

few questions (because i'm not sure myself/have no clue)
    first: configuration
    i've configured both a 1,25 and a 1,42 and with upgrading the hd on the 1,25 ,it's otherwise essentially the same machine except the 1,42 and the~50€ higher i ask is it worth it ?
    Mac mini 1.42GHz
    +80GB Ultra ATA
    +512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    +Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
    +apple basic keyboard
    878.98 € (including taxes etc.) (edu prices only for the bto upgrades the base unit didn'T get cheaper at all looks liek apple calculated _close_)

so i'm left with at least 120+ € for additional stuff ( one being perhaps a new good mouse..)

2nd question what resolutions do work in mac osx:
    i plan on running it with 1152x864 (i don't know if 1280x1024 is possibly on the screen at home... can't test it untill february) it's not a very common resolution so i hope anybody know

3. additional hardware + software question :
    what is essential..what should get with it (aka. ordering through the store..i get edu discount)? first i thought about getting the office student version ... but 100€ only for excel (don't care about another email client) seems to much for me over iwork...and then i thought about iwork...i'm not typing that much documents or making presentations so it wouldn't be that important ..should i save those 60€ ?
    hardware:i know i'm gonna buy a usb hub sooner or later but i won't need it in the beginning (i will come later back for that ;) )
    i calculate something around 40-45€ for a good mouse but i'm perhaps not buying it immediatly so that leaves me with perhaps 100€ ..what mouses with more than 2 buttons do you recommend ? and do Linksys wireless router work fine with airportexpress (i need an internal switch so the grt-54 (?) is my current choice) without flaws ? what hardware(below 100€ preferable) i don't know about do you recommend me a good external compatible firefire/usb2 3,5 harddrive exclosure (i have a few hard drives left it should be compatible with pcs) ... because if i don't need anything else i might add an ipod shuffle with 512 mb or save up for an ipod mini or Apple Car at the end of the year

4.iDVD support dvd+r etc. but when choosing the BTO upgrade it only mentions DVD-R ..can i burn normal files on dvd+r media (with the OS) or do i need to buy additional hardware or software for that ? i'm a little bit confused

5. billing: i've read the bill is gonna sent via mail and then you have to transfer the money from your giro-bankaccount,then get your order sent..does it work without a hassle ? how long does it take to get the bill sent to you ? (european members here ?) i have no credit card (nor do i know somebody who has) so that's not an option

i was configuring & looking for stuff in the apple store for hours yesterday... i was hardly able to sleep because i was so excited..for a computer with a radeon9200 and perhaps an internal laptop drive ... any further advice recommendations are highly welcome

i'm a student so additonal budget is limited to perhaps 1000 - 1050 perhaps more if i get any money from my parents (not much perhaps 50€) so keep the price reasonable

i might have the change to purchase a 15"lcd for perhaps 100-150€ but i'll have to wait for the price i can only has 1024x768 resolution should i considered that ? or go with wireless network...oh so many questions
  2. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I have a B&W with a 9200 and i run my monitor at 1152x864 and i Just checked and it is also able to do 1280x1024.
    i think the mac mini comes with all the software you need to start running and it includes appleworks which is a word processor speadsheet presentaion database drawing painting app with lots of other stuff. So you should be fine with software for now.
    I'm not sure about your other questions though.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    The 9200 in the Mini will support up to 1920x1200. When your monitor is plugged in OS X should detect what resoultions are supported and allow you to use it. You'll be fine.
  4. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    thx for the answer i just looked it up and found the old description for appleworks

i just looked around on the apple store for software and came about the thing that you need quicktime pro to watch dvds fullscreen without any button etc. visible ..true ? or work some other dvd-players flawlessly ? i would prefer a one programm for that
    is it worth 42€ ? i know it's downloadable ..if i buy it with my mac can wait untill it arrives ?
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Also, FWIW, the 1.25 ->1.42 CPU speed boost isn't, in my opinion, worth ~10% of the cost of the system. Since that is, as you pointed out, the only difference once you upgrade the HD, I'd save the money and get the 1.25. Yes, it's a 15% CPU boost, but it'll get lost in the noise once you take into account everything else in the system.
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Also, if I read your most recent post correctly, I think that QuickTime Pro is a great app, but you can most definitely buy it later on if you don't think QT is adequate. Or were you referring to something else?
  7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    You don’t watch DVDs with Quicktime, but with DVD player which also works fullscreen. That said, Quicktime doesn’t do fullscreen unless you buy the Pro version or download extra software from Versiontracker (I remember seeing an app that brings fullscreen to Quicktime, but don’t remember the name).
  8. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    thx for the confirmation on quicktime i guess i will simply stick to some 3rd vendor programm (which isn't strange to me as a windows user)

for the CPU i'm leaning more towards the 1.42 because i'm going towards dvd burning more with it
    i don't have and so do the other 3 family computers(mother,sister and since few weeks younger brother) so i will be making backups from time to time with it and my father has been looking at digital camcorder for quite some time now

it's a hard the moment i'm in my budget and still have room for additional purchases could stretch it a little bit as well so at the moment i think i'm going with the 1,42

for other additional software i was thinking about toast ..but i heard that you can burn quite a bit of things with the os directly so if it isn't a must then i'll wait later on that as well (they listed the compability now on the german site for those dvd+ etc.)

so that leaves only questions about the experience with the billing, external hard driver enclosure, and the 3+ button mouse ;) (i found talking about the linksys via the search looks good enough)

thx for everybody helping checking off some questions of my list

edit(and i added an kvm switch on my wishlist)
  9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Congratulations! I agree that QT Pro can be bought later, I have it and don't use it that much, DVDs play fine with the included DVD player and iMovie does what I need so that's why QT Pro isn't something I use a lot. Toast is great but as you said, OSX can do most everything Toast can.

Apple Works is also probably just what you need, I think iWork will be expanded later so now is not the time to buy it.

I have a logitech 2 button optical scroll wheel mouse and I love it. It was about USD 20.00

Let us know how it all goes for you.
  10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Looks like most everything's been covered, but if it's any help:

I had a 32MB Radeon 7500 in my G4 and it did 1900x2000 just fine, so the 9200 shoud do as well or better.

Current superdrives should burn both +/- media.

Apple DVD Player handles DVD playback at full screen. You can't take screenshots while playing a DVD with it though. Use the free player called VLC if you want to do that.

OS X can burn audio CDs, DVDs (data and movies) so you probably won't need Toast unless you are ripping backup copies of your DVD collection or something. For most uses OS X can handle things.

My brother just ordered a 1.42 Mac mini with Superdrive, Bluetooth and Airport. I was looking at saving money on the CPU as well (pretty small difference), but he had the money and wanted the faster one so whatever. :)

Good luck with it!