Finally going to my first Apple Store

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wwooden, Mar 18, 2005.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Yes, it will finally happen. This may not be a big deal for those who live by one, but for someone like me who lives in the state of Vermont, this is very exciting. Spring Break just started today and I am going to spend a few days in NYC this coming week. On top of my list of things to do is go to the Apple SOHO store. I didn't want my first store to be an ordinary, run of the mill store, I wanted something cool. I've been looking at the store schedule for next week and I want to watch one of the presentations. Has anyone attended any of the free ones? Worth watching at all?
    Oh, one more question, can I take pictures in the store? Mostly of me and my friends, do they have a problem with that? thanks for the help.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That sounds like an awesome way to spend your Spring break. I'm jealous, have been dreaming of visiting the SOHO with my next trip to NYC. As far as I'm aware there isn't a problem with taking pictures in the an Apple Store. I've seen a lot of pictures taken at an Apple Store. Although I think that I would ask one of the staff before I went ahead and take any pictures. Would prefer to be safe than sorry. Do you have any purchases planned? Have fun. ;)

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

My first shopping stop once I visit Japan will be to visit the Ginzu Apple store. :D I once drove 2 hours to an Apple store since there are no stores even remotely close to where I live. And the store is one of those mini stores, not actual mini, but small.

4. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

I don't plan on buying anything while I am there. The only thing I would be interested in is a Mac Mini, but i doubt they will have them in stock so I don't have to worry about an impulse buy like that. Good idea, about asking before I take pictures, I'm sure they get that question all the time, but I would feel much better knowing they are ok with it.

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I went into the Apple Store in Orlando last weekend not expecting them to have Mac Minis in stock. But as you can see in my profile, they had every model and I couldn't help myself. Seems that many stores are actually keeping a small stock now.

And the Orlando store is ok with taking pictures. My friend and I were in there for almost an hour messing around with his new Canon PowerShot G6. Took about 100 shots. Gonna do some Photoshoping with them when I get the chance. Should be fun.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I've never been to a big, fancy Apple store, only a Mall outlet... but its a big mall outlet...

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Congrats on getting to go to an Apple Store. The closest thing I get to go to that even resembles a Apple Store is CompUSA. Still, it was great getting to see an iMac and PowerMac up close.

8. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Next time you are near one, you have to go. CompUSA does not do Apple products any justice... :D True, they are the same computers but there is something about the Apple Store that just makes them that much better.

9. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

No one has answered one of the initial questions about the presentations. I have been to a number of Apple stores and there is one nearby, but have not attended any of the presentations. Are they any good? Are they designed for really inexperienced mac users?

10. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

Even if it is for an inexperienced person, I will probably watch anyway. I will just enjoy being around other people that enjoy using a Mac. :)

11. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    I went to my first Apple store two weeks ago. I was very excited to visit the mall - I live about one hour from the mall - and what do you know ... it had an Apple Store.

It was definitely worth it. Let me tell you, I was shocked when I first looked into the store ...

Covington
    a.k.a. Lil' Corsi

12. James L macrumors 6502a

I shot MANY pics when I was in the Soho store this summer, and also in teh San Francisco store in January when I was at MWSF.

No problem with Pics.

As to the demonstrations and lessons... they are ok. Great if you don't know the app at all, but if you do then you will often know far more than what you are getting in the free 2 hour show.

13. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Apple stores are great :) Enjoy your trip, last year for spring break my friends and I went to NYC, we really enjoyed ourselves :)

allison.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Mentioning the presentations, sadly the Apple Store near me doesn't have a theater. They do offer classes on a wide range of topics. It's just done at one of the display Macs.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The presentations in the theatre can be a little basic if you know what you're doing. In the London store at least, there seem to be more 'Books checking mail in the library than listening to the presentations.

The special events and the 'Made on a Mac' series in the evenings tend to be more worthwhile though.

16. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

my first visit at Apple Store

My first visit at Apple Store is while I am on business in Buffalo NY. I think it was Jan. 2002 (from my Apple Care expiration date). I bought my first Mac, 15" Ti PB 20 GB/550 MB/Combo drive. It was the OS X 1 era. I just could not resist the Ti masterpiece at the store and pulled out my credit card to take it home with me. I think my sig tells you the rest of the story as I bought 15" Al PB about 1.5 year ago and just bought 12" PB a few weeks ago for my travel.