Finally Got a Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jplg842, Feb 21, 2007.

1. jplg842 macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2007
    Hay guys. finally i switched!!! bought a macbook 2.0GHz white with 1GB memory. Its great i love it, but im having some hard times with the software, but its ok considering that its my first time to use a mac!
    i have a question. how long does a normal starting take on my macbook? and how do i clean up (windows: system tools, disk cleanup)?
    and how can i delete the extra fonts?
    And finally, how can i change my account name? and put a password? and can i put a password when the screen saver turns on?

Sorry caz its long!

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Can't help with system cleanup tools (don't use any on my PowerBook), but you can manage the fonts on your Mac via the application "Font Book."

To set a login password, check "Disable Automatic Login" under Security in System Preferences (the app with the lightswitch icon). You can set a wake from sleep/screen saver password here as well.

Hope you enjoy your new machine.
  3. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    Normal starting time shouldn't be more than a minute. And for "cleaning up", there's Disk Utility in the Utilities folder for verifying/repairing disks and permissions, and Onyx, which you shouldn't mess around TOO much with until you learn a little more about it and OS X, seeing as how you're new to using a Mac. I also recommend smcFanControl if you think your 'Book is a bit too hot on your lap.
  4. MadDoc macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2005
    Don't worry about 'cleaning up' your Mac.

This isn't windows ;)

Welcome to a better computing experience.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    how long does it take for your machine to boot up? Also, what do you mean by "clean up"?